Position Description: The Systems Engineer Junior will be responsible for evaluating, under supervision, system requirements, architectures, models, designs, and release/deployment plans. Assessing the technical and operational characteristics of systems. Manage system designs and reviews through the Engineering Review Group life cycle. Provide expertise in, but not limited to, System Architecture, System Modeling, Software Development, Systems Integration, Technical leadership, Strategic Planning, Business Analysis and Technical Analysis. Assess the performance and scalability characteristics of systems. Identify Design concerns and considerations for performance and scalability. Develop solution architectures to resolve identified issues with Performance and Scalability.
- Perform with supervision on an Engineering/Architecture team responsible for the development and management of systems Architecture, designs, Build Sheets and deployment artifacts among others.
- Facilitate the successful EWG reviews of systems being introduced into the TI environments and legacy systems that require documentation and review for 2020 Census operations.
- With supervision, designs and documents system architecture and associated designs by analyzing requirements; constructing workflow charts and diagrams; studying system capabilities; writing specifications.
- Provide enhancements or improvements to systems by studying current workflows and designs and determining inefficiencies.
- Develop process/control changes by identifying gaps/issues/areas for improvement; writing improved processes.
- Supports Systems Engineering efforts through management of Change Requests, Impact analysis, Systems analysis, documentation, and review.
- Maintains, with supervision, system architecture and associated design documents, updating procedures, analyzing system and managing program changes.
- Prepares technical reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; bench marking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- 3+ years as a Systems Engineer on Large Scale Development and Integration Programs
- Experience designing solution architectures for complex Systems within a System of Systems, with supervision
- Experience designing complex, integrated systems through the system development life cycle, with supervision
- Experience in understanding and creating System physical and conceptual architecture diagrams
- Experience working in Cloud environments (e.g. AWS and GovCloud)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in a fast paced environment with large amounts of external stakeholder interaction
- Experience with functional and/or technical aspects of enterprise commercial off the shelf software packages as well as custom developed software and applications
- Demonstrated experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships in team environments and with other business organizations
- Awareness of performance and scalability considerations and techniques to include; server/network/storage constraints, auto scaling, redundancy, queueing, and graceful degradation.
- Ability to understand the results of performance and scalability tests and design basic alternatives to eliminate performance and scalability issues
Years of Experience: 3+ years
Education Requirements: Bachelors (Associates with additional 2 years of experience)