ICA is on a mission to develop tools that protect the safety of the millions of Americans using medical devices. ICA is looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join our expanding data science team. ICA works at the intersection of healthcare and Artificial Engineer (AI) in partnership with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Data Science at ICA
We are a collaborative, remote-first team working on challenging problems that affect the health and safety of millions of American patients. Working closely with all stakeholders, we maintain a build-measure-learn cycle which has allowed us to iterate quickly and deliver consistent, meaningful results. We care deeply about collaboration, feedback, and iteration.
About the Role
As part of a small data engineering team, you will own all aspects of the data pipeline, which will support an agile data science and machine learning ecosystem. You will work closely with DevOps, MLOps, data scientists, and software engineers to ensure the protection, reliability, resiliency, and business continuity of the data necessary to build, test, manage, assess, and deploy systems.
- Build robust data pipelines: develop jobs to process, validate, transport, collate, aggregate, and distribute data
- Build workflows that empower data scientists, systems, and models to efficiently use data
- Advise, architect, and implement a variety of data stores from traditional RDBMSs to graph stores to NoSQL databases to unstructured data lakes to file-system-like access to data in file format (e.g., PDF) primarily in AWS
- Optimize data flow and representation for machine learning purposes to architect solutions that enable reproducible data access and analysis
- Define and establish processes to maintain the integrity of data within data pipeline and warehouse
- Develop tests to validate and monitor data integrity and efficiency
- Work collaboratively across teams and projects to address and predict data performance issues
- Develop documentation for the tools and data products deployed
You are a pragmatic, results-focused problem-solver who enjoys working both independently and in close collaboration with your team. You know how to make progress when confronting a complex challenge and you enjoy the steps involved. You are experienced at solving problems using both well-established and cutting-edge tools.
You are passionate about all things data. You enjoy being part of a team that leverages best practices to enable secure, easy, performant access to large, disparate types of data.
Your desire and ability to improve your skills and help others succeed is of paramount importance. You thrive as part of a fast-paced team and take pride in its ability to succeed at challenging tasks while delivering value to our customers. You embrace innovation and grow professionally by solving one of the most interesting challenges impacting patient safety and outcomes.
- 4+ years of experience as a Data Engineer
- 4+ years of hands-on experience working with complex data pipelines
- 2+ years of hands-on experience working with data science/ML/AI teams as a Data Engineer
- Deep knowledge of SQL and database optimization techniques
- Understanding of efficient schema design
- Proficiency with some of the following:
- Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Kafka, Airflow, MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, SOLR, Parquet, Avro, Arrow
- Data testing and validation techniques
- AWS technologies such as Redshift, RDS, S3, Glacier, EC2, Lambda, API Gateway, Elastic Map Reduce, Kinesis, and Glue
- AWS infrastructure as code, including the use of Cloud Formation, Git, and GitLab
- Familiarity with tools for enabling analysis of large datasets
- Ability to communicate verbally and in written form complex data concepts with confidence and in an easy-to-understand fashion to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with graph storage engines and query languages (e.g., Neo4J, Neptune) is a plus
- Experience with data visualization frameworks and/or data dashboarding is a plus
Established in 2010, International Consulting Associates, Inc., is focused on providing management and technical solutions to help our clients tackle some of their most pressing challenges. Specializing in research and analysis, data analytics, and technical advisory services, ICA is looking for talented, like-minded people to join our growing team.
We are a culture of enabling individual success, openness, humility, and collaboration – one where we help each other improve, recognize contribution, and foster a strong sense of ownership. We will continue to value curiosity and skepticism while maintaining an unwavering commitment to diversity and inclusion. We value elegance through simplicity, responsiveness, and pragmatic, value-driven approaches to problem solving.
We embrace agility and a fail-fast, rapid evolution approach. We believe that protecting the work-life balance is essential to supporting high performing teams. We care about our mission, about driving progress and delivering value, and about implementing tangible real-world change. We are committed to hiring and developing diverse, dynamic teams in a safe and inclusive environment. We are passionate about leveraging technology, data science, and machine learning to make the world a better place.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary, work from anywhere
- Comprehensive benefits including Health and Dental
- Flexible time off
- 401k plan with match
ICA is an equal opportunity employer that does not currently offer H1-B or LPR sponsorship. You must already be authorized to work in the United States and be eligible for Public Trust Security Clearance.