Conducts research and development investigations to develop and test new fabrication processes and procedures, improve existing or develop and test new fabrication processes and procedures, improve existing or develop new welding equipment, develop new or modify current welding methods, techniques, and procedures, discover new patterns of welding phenomena, or to correlate and substantiate hypotheses.
Perks and Benefits
• Competitive salary
• Attractive benefits package
• Generous 401k Pension Plan
• Positive work-life balance
• Excellent career progression opportunities
• Commitment to professional growth
• Fully paid Tuition Assistance Program
• Company social events including cook outs, holiday party, offsite meetings, service awards, spin the wheel, department outings to sporting events, and more!
• Employee Engagement Committee
• Fully covered Employee Assistance Program
• Employee discounts on tickets to exclusive events and entertainment
- Prepares technical reports as result of research and development and preventive maintenance investigations.
- Establishes welding procedures to guide production and welding personnel relating to specification restrictions, material processes pre- and post-heating requirements which involve use of complex alloys, unusual fabrication methods, welding of critical joints, and complex post-heating requirements.
- Evaluates new developments in welding field for possible application to current welding problems or production processes.
- Directs and coordinates technical personnel in performing inspections to ensure workers' compliance with established welding procedures, restrictions, and standards; in testing welds for conformance with national code requirements; or testing welding personnel for certification.
- Contacts personnel of other agencies, engineering personnel, or clients to exchange ideas, information, or offer technical advice concerning welding matters.
- Oversees experimental welding to evaluate new equipment, techniques, and materials.
- Ensures the weld department meets all NADCAP and customer requirements. Leads all weld audits including NADCAP certification and customer audits.
- Research, evaluate, justify, and recommend capital equipment for the weld area. Prepare capital project requests and manage their implementation.
- Provides training and certification for all welders, weld operators, and weld inspectors. Works with HR to maintain records and ensures all training/certification documentation is kept up to date.
- Analyzes engineering designs for welding requirements.
- Reviews weld procedures, processes, and documentation.
- Manages weld procedure qualifications and generating welding procedures to help the manufacturing and welding teams.
- Conducts failure analyses and cause analyses on welding issues.
Fifth year college or university program certificate; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong knowledge of semi-automated GTAW weld processes. Additional knowledge of resistance and laser welding is preferred.
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, and defense and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are a part of the team!