Magellan Aerospace, Glendale has an exciting new opportunity for a Welder. The successful incumbent will TIG Weld various types of defects on magnesium and aluminum alloy castings per customer specification and weld schedule. The Welder will be knowledgeable of the welding properties of magnesium and aluminum alloys, welding rods pre-heat temperature and allowances for the effect of shrinkage, warpage and expansion.
Perks and Benefits
We offer a full benefits package including paid holidays and vacation your first year of employment (pro-rated). Medical, dental and vision is offered at 90 days employment. 401(k) with employer match is available after 3 months of continuous employment. We have company paid life insurance, short term and long term disability.
- Clean castings to ensure all castings are properly prepared prior to welding
- Fit and secure back-up plates as required
- Pre-heat castings to require temperature prior to weld
- Start welder per weld schedule and regulate water coolant for torch head
- Select proper electrodes, machine settings, gas flow rates and welding rods
- Perform plug welding as required
- Remove defects as indicated on x-ray film as required
- Perform work requiring a thorough knowledge of welding properties of magnesium and aluminum alloys, welding rods, pre-heat temperature and allowances for the effect of shrinkage, warpage and expansion.
- Weld test plates as required to customers’ specifications
- Color coding of weld rod in accordance with instructions in Quality Control procedures
- Record welds in daily log sheets
- Advise MRB and/or supervisor on suitability of welding castings
- Maintain a clean work area
- Notify supervisor of any job irregularities, faulty equipment or material
- Complete other work assignments from supervisor as assigned
- At least 5 years of related experience welding magnesium and aluminum alloys, preferably in the Aerospace industry
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
- Skilled in mathematics
- Ability to use height gages, micrometers, calipers etc., to measure, check and correlate information with blueprints, specifications and repair routings to perform welding operations consistent with approved specifications
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, defence and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!