TIG Weld various types of defects on magnesium and aluminum alloy castings per customer specification and weld schedule.
Welding rods for various magnesium and aluminum alloys, argon gas, water, air, compressed air, fluorescent penetrating oil, film developer and solvents, magnesium and aluminum plugs, test plates, and x-ray film.
TIG welding machine and accessories, electrically operated pre-heat furnaces, welding booth, hand operated air grinders and chisels, brushes, protective shields, tungsten electrodes, argon gas cylinders, gas pressure regulators and air hose.
Magellan Aerospace, Glendale offers excellent career opportunities, competitive salary, health and pension benefits packages. Starting salary will be based on experience and qualifications.
• Receive work assignments from supervisor
• Clean castings
• Fit and secure back-up plates as required
• Pre-heat castings to require temperature prior to weld
• Start welder per weld schedule and regulate water coolant for torch head
• Select proper electrodes, machine settings, gas flow rates and welding rods
• Perform plug welding as required
• Remove defects as indicated on x-ray film as required
• Perform work requiring a thorough knowledge of welding properties of magnesium and aluminum alloys, welding rods, pre-heat temperature and allowances for the effect of shrinkage, warpage and expansion.
• Weld test plates as required to customers’ specifications
• Color coding of weld rod in accordance with instructions in Quality Control procedures
• Record welds in daily log sheets
• Advise MRB and/or supervisor on suitability of welding castings
• Maintain a clean work area
• Notify supervisor of any job irregularities, faulty equipment or material
• Minimum five years related experience welding magnesium and aluminum alloys preferably in the Aerospace industry.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to use height gages, micrometers, calipers etc., to measure, check and correlate information with blueprints, specifications and repair routings to perform welding operations consistent with approved specifications.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme heat, and risk of electrical shock. TIG welding utilizes flame and electrical current to perform the weld and generates infrared and ultraviolet light. Appropriate protective equipment is necessary. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. Argon, an inert gas, is also utilized in the performance of TIG welding. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, and defence and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!
Magellan Aerospace respects the privacy and confidentiality of personal information provided by candidates and shall not disclose to any external parties unless legislated.
Thank you for considering this exciting opportunity. This document is intended to provide the reader with information and is not a contractual document. Some of the material therefore may be subject to change.