Vice President of Compliance
Come work on a fun island! Awesome island living with multiple opportunities for serious Diving, Boating , Sailing and Hiking … even the fishing is good. Come get free breakfast and lunch, work with cool people and dress in shorts while making a nice living.
Reporting directly to the Chief Legal & Compliance Officer. This role will primarily be responsible for proactively assisting in protecting the company’s legal and regulatory interests, maintaining its operations within the scope established by law, and ensuring the company develops and delivers products and consumer experiences which are in full compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Lead a team of policy managers and auditors in multiple sites and countries.
• Responsible for identifying and analyzing legal and regulatory issues, presenting clear recommendations, and assuring compliance in areas affecting consumer financial services.
• Assess and advise on current and emerging legislative/regulatory/policy.
• Keep abreast of relevant laws, regulations, and supervisory guidance. Educate management on best practices in compliance, legal requirements, and industry trends.
• Inform management, clients, and related parties of new and modified compliance requirements.
• Manage, develop, and maintain compliance management programs for the company, coordinate licensing and reporting requirements.
• Continually assesses the effectiveness of overall compliance and ethics programs
• Review and update policies, procedures and disclosures as needed for adherence with applicable laws and regulations.
• Manage the development of compliance-related policies and procedures.
• Create and maintain company standards related to higher risk products, services, and practices.
• Ensure documentation and training materials are current to minimize risks.
• Perform or coordinate compliance reviews and risk assessments on existing and new programs and initiatives.
• Perform on-gong evaluation of third parties, including vendors, clients and partners requiring enhanced oversight.
• Participate in offsite and onsite due diligence reviews of key third party service providers.
• Review marketing programs and materials for adherence to regulatory requirements and Company standards, providing guidance and advice as needed to bring the materials into compliance.
• Oversee compliance monitoring and testing to ensure that activities are completed in accordance with approved schedules. Identify appropriate corrective action when needed and follow up to ensure corrective action is implemented.
• Serve as the compliance resource in product development, including preparing and reviewing program documentation.
• Provide corporate governance support.
• Manage the contract compliance initiative.
• Build and maintain close working partnerships with internal and external clients to ensure they seek advice and counsel when needed on compliance issues.
• Partner with clients to develop solutions and recommendation to meet compliance needs.
• Train internal and external clients on compliance requirements through a variety of methods including one on one or staff meetings, webinars, memos, educational
presentations, and providing guidance on specific situations.
• Prepare and present compliance reports and executive summaries of compliance activities including concerns, issue trends and patterns, etc. and discuss recommendations for initiating additional controls and audits as needed.
• Assist in the management of compliance-related audits and examinations. Gather relevant documentation as requested, meet with auditors to respond to questions, prepare audit responses as needed, and implement actions recommended by auditors and examiners.
• Perform legal research and analysis of data related to compliance practices, policies, and procedures.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Attributes:
• Active listening: giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and engaging in
productive, respectful dialogue.
• Analytical thinking: synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data.
• Written communication: effective in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
• Verbal communication: talking to others to convey information effectively.
• Critical thinking: using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
• Leadership: motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions of others; accepts feedback from others, compliance team leadership experience, completes projects on time. Track record of advancing strategies to completion
• Problem solving: identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gather and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions
• Reading comprehension: understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents
• Social perceptiveness: being aware of and understanding other’s reactions.
• Ability to rapidly assimilate information.
• Demonstrated record of developing innovative and workable solutions to complex legal problems which enable commercial objectives.
• A personal orientation to personal and professional growth
• Comfortable with driving and managing change.
• An orientation to teamwork and success
• Attorneys considered for this role must either be (i) licensed to practice law in the US Virgin Islands, or (ii) licensed to practice law in at least one state and be eligible for
admission as in-house counsel pursuant to Virgin Islands Supreme Court Rule 202.
• Non-attorney applicants will be considered based on compliance experience.
• At least 5 years of experience in a business environment in counsel capacity or comparable law firm or compliance program experience working in the compliance area.
• Ability to identify risks and propose alternative structures to mitigate risks.
• Experience leading compliance policy and audit teams.
• Excellent analytical research and documentation writing skills as demonstrated by past draft examples.
• Ability to handle multiple complex projects.
• Solid understanding of the various business processes
• Working knowledge of business software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
Physical Requirements/Work Environment:
• Frequently sit/stand in front of computer monitor daily for long periods of time.
• Frequent use of hands to type
• Occasionally lift up to 5 lbs.
• Must be able to talk and hearing constantly.
• Noise Level: moderate noise level daily in an office atmosphere
• Occasionally Travel Internationally