Our client is a fast-growing private big-box Retail chain specializing in the off-price and value business model. With 120+ stores in 14 states, our client will reach over $1B in sales revenue this year. They operate a HQ Distribution center, 3 satellite facilities and are opening a brand new 870K sqft. distribution center this Spring. This role offers market competitive salary, a 30% bonus target and internal company equity shares. Relocation expenses will be covered by the client.
Job Title: VICE PRESIDENT, LOGISTICS
The Vice President, Logistics leads the logistics operations of the organization including transportation, fleet management, scheduling, and compliance. Identifies cost saving opportunities and strategies throughout the traffic and logistics processes. Ensures timeliness and efficiency in the delivery of goods to our client's DCs, tracking product through the operations, and transfer the goods to stores. Negotiates freight rates and identify other potential expense/cost savings. Directs the management of fleet of equipment and drivers. Leads Supply Chain’s efforts and participation in the RAM process.
Reports to the Senior Vice President of Supply Chain. Develops and maintains professional relationships with 3rd party carriers and other transportation related companies. Drives alignment between transportation resources, Supply Chain members, Store Ops, the merchant group, and finance ensuring the highest level of customer service and fostering strong relationships with all business partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Optimizing ground, air, fleet, and ocean carriers for lowest routing costs and/or maximizing service on existing and new shipments.
- Uses informed decisions to create weekly priorities and strategies to support the business needs in driving and delivering results, communicates them to the team.
- Ensures excellent customer service to both internal and external customers and resolves all DC, store and merchant partner questions and service issues.
- Makes strategic business decisions by creating long term and short-term planning strategies to ensure alignment with the company.
- Works cross-functionally with Distribution Centers, Merchants, Store and Finance to ensure the Logistics strategy is defined and aligned with the Company’s overall strategic direction and goals.
- Gains business insights, develops strategies, and allocates resources to drive excellent service standards for all stakeholders.
- Implementing and reporting to senior management on performance metrics for all aspects of the logistics process.
- Responsible for the management, operation, and maintenance of fleet of transportation equipment and drivers.
- Develops short-, mid- and long-term planning to expand and improve the efficiency of the fleet.
- Primary contact for long term carrier, consolidator, and fleet provider relationships.
- Ensures Supply Chain compliance with RAM process.
- Sets hiring/staffing goals needed to support business needs, sources candidates for all transportation positions.
- Leads effective talent selection, training, coaching, motivating, and recognition.
- Develops and grows internal talent through mentoring and succession planning.
- Writes and delivers mid-year, individual developmental plans, and annual reviews for direct reports.
- Ensures best practices are followed to drive maximum productivity and efficiency.
- Committed to continuous improvement in an ever-changing industry, and aligning it with organizations vision, mission, and values.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BA or BS degree, in Logistics, Supply Chain Management or related field, OR equivalent experience.
- 7 + years of experience in Supply Chain Management, Distribution/Freight Management, or other related professional experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated ability to exercise considerable professional judgment and discretion in building and maintaining strong relationships with carriers and merchants
- Demonstrates ability to manage complex/competing priorities using time management and organization skills
- Hands-on management approach that encourages creative problem solving and drives positive change
- Proven ability to lead leaders, build others’ skills, and accountability
- Ability to interact effectively at various levels in support of carrier and merchant relationships
- Committed to continuous improvement
- Proven ability to effectively delegate, follow up, and communicate with all levels of the organization
- Demonstrates business acumen with strong strategic and analytical skills
- Strong computer skills and experience with TMS software
This position coordinates work flows and outputs of the Traffic team, fleet of equipment/drivers, RAM group, and their respective leaders.
- Product Focus – The ability to maintain direction and stay on target with the goals and project at hand to enhance the customer experience with our products and services.
- Business Acumen – Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology, and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Negotiating – Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations; can settle differences with minimal noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiation; has a good sense of timing.
- Planning – Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
- Champion Change – Understands different kinds of change; motivates others to welcome change; manages the change process while maintaining operating effectiveness; establishes processes to ensure the success of change.
- Decision Quality – Make correct decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment.
- Drive for Results – Push themselves and others consistently to meet or exceed goals.
- Managing and Measuring – Assign responsibility and set clear, measurable objectives.
- Developing Direct Reports – Push, challenge and guide direct reports so they can meet their business and career goals.
- Integrity and Trust – Seen as direct and honest individuals who can keep confidences and admit mistakes. Will not represent themselves for personal gain.
- Motivating Others – Create a positive climate that challenges and empowers others to do their best work.
- Organizing – Is able to rally people and resources to get projects completed properly; can leverage multiple partners and orchestrate the pieces of the larger picture to work in sync; stores and accesses information effectively and efficiently; can delegate and manage the delegated pieces to accomplish more in less time.
- Customer Focus – Establish a relationship with customers to glean first-hand information that will enhance their experience and our products and services.
- Profit and Loss
- Level of Service Metrics