The Vice President Human Resources plays a critical role in Magellan’s Executive team, ensuring that HR goals, policies, procedures, and programs support our organization’s mission, vision, and values. As the top HR Leader across Magellan’s 18 manufacturing divisions globally, this individual will be accountable for all aspects of the Human Resources function including: Employee Relations, Total Rewards, Learning and Development, Organizational Development, Labor Relations, Performance Management, Compliance and Reporting, Technology and Administration. In this highly visible and dynamic role, the ideal candidate will bring the following personal and professional characteristics:
A Passion for the Mission
The Vice President Human Resources will display a passion for the aerospace industry, and share our belief that people create value. The person in this role should understand and embrace commitment towards our customers (commercial and defence), while staying compassionate and accountable towards our employees.
A Human Capital Acumen
With an entrepreneurial spirit and growth mindset, the VP of Human Resources will bring a proven track record of success in implementing programs to attract and sustain a high performing and engaged global workforce. The individual will have both general knowledge of the principles and best practices of human capital administration and a demonstrated ability developing and implementing organizational improvements strategically and tactically.
A Drive for Results
This flexible leader will have the ability to understand and deal with complex Human Resources challenges and creatively overcome obstacles to achieve organizational goals. The VP of Human Resources should have the ability to conceptualize and analyze problems and solutions in a proactive, constructive, and creative way with a strong attention to detail; a high ability to communicate, and a deep understanding of implementing new processes. In order to achieve these and measure success, a strong empirical and analytical propensity is a valuable asset in this role.
- Develop and facilitate the implementation of a short and long-term HR strategic plans, in alignment with Magellan’s business operational strategy.
- Provide oversight and direction for Magellan’s global divisions in the areas of: Employee Relations, Total Rewards, Learning and Development, Organizational Development, Labor Relations, Performance Management, Compliance and Reporting, Technology and Administration.
- Identify and clarify priority issues with Magellan’s Global HR team; recommend, design, implement and evaluate organizational initiatives to address these issues and achieve strategic goals.
- Provide human resources compliance leadership through expertise and extensive up-to-date knowledge, and guide the Global HR Team through a complex rapidly-changing legislative environment.
- Implement and oversee employee engagement programs and initiatives, aimed at sustaining a culture of productive and engaged workforce, low turnover, and an inspiring employee experience.
- Chief strategist for labour negotiations in all unionized facilities across Canada, USA, and the United Kingdom. Oversee and direct Magellan’s relationship with the different labour unions/associations, and maintain a culture of trust and collaboration.
- Create and manage functional budgets and manpower planning, in alignment with set company business objectives.
Security and Technology
- Top Security official within the company, maintaining export compliance with all relevant legislative requirements (ITAR, CGP, CSP). Sustain and maintain controls required to address the risk of industrial espionage, diversion, data breaches, and illegal working. Failure to address these issues could lead to reputational and financial damage to our business, or even serious concerns of national and international security.
- Continuously monitor and assess the state of HR technology and its fit within Magellan’s overall IT applications landscape. Propose and make strategic adjustments if needed.
- Review and approve compensation/benefits programs, in alignment with Magellan’s overall business strategy. Navigate the processes of labour market positioning, shaping of compensation structure and design, pay grading system, and organizational planning.
- Empower company middle management through specifically designed programs, to utilize diverse leadership techniques: performance management/talent evaluation, conflict resolution, team-building, employee development, roles and responsibility, individual accountability, resource planning, and others.
- In conjunction with the Global HR Team, lead the talent/succession planning process to drive a culture of employee development, workforce planning and improved succession readiness.
- Oversee the development of, and approve periodic updates to organization-wide policies, procedures, and manuals.
- Act as the HR Subject Matter Expert and provide educated perspective at Magellan’s Executive Councils and Boards of Directors’ meetings.
- Mentor and lead a high-performing team of HR professionals with a focus on developing Magellan’s future HR leaders.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree is considered an asset
- Membership of HRPA or other governing professional body desired
- 10-15 years of progressive experience in diverse HR disciplines
- Experience in multi-site HR functional leadership
- Solid experience within a unionized environment
- Aerospace/Manufacturing experience is an asset but not a must
- Excellent communication, software technology literacy, employment law, negotiation and mediation, project management, conflict management, critical thinking, coaching, interpersonal skills, action oriented, time management, problem solving
- Ability to travel 20-40% to our global divisions when safe and permitted
- Proficient English business communications is required.
- High degree of computer literacy
- High degree of Business Acumen
- Ability to communicate with all levels of personnel, maintain confidentiality at all times, trustworthy, reliable and hard working
- Strong ethics and values