As an integral role within the Company, the VP of Quality and Food Safety will ensure that the Company’s mission and operations are fully aligned with the vision of Quality and Food Safety Excellence, meeting or exceeding customer, regulatory, and Group standards. This visionary leader will forge a strategy defining compliance expectations, an implementation roadmap, the verification approach, and tracking KPIs for Company’s Quality and Food Safety Culture. This role will provide strategic direction and leadership to the Quality and Food Safety leaders and the overall function. This will include implementation thorough safety and quality improvement programs. The scope will include the Company’s Business Partners (e.g. supplier, co-manufacturing, logistics), as well as internal functions (product strategic Management, R&D, Procurement, operations, commercial) ensuring the Company remains a trusted partner of choice for customers and a recognized credible voice to regulatory bodies.
This position reports to the C-Level and is based in Tempe, AZ.
• Provide oversight of product quality, sensory and functional properties
• Oversee the development, delivery and implementation of audit corrective action plans to the Company’s customers and third parties.
• Lead all quality and food safety audits and responses, implementing any necessary modifications. Ensure certifications are maintained for each site.
• Ensure customer and/or government requirements and regulations are implemented throughout manufacturing processes.
• Develop and foster an internal collaborative approach with all cross functional leaders including Operations, Service, Transportation, Supply Chain, Legal, and Finance.
• Collaborate with R&D on the development and testing of new dairy products.
• Provide expertise in product and consumer requirements with other members of management and with production operators, technicians, and engineers.
• Establish raw material standards by studying manufacturing and engineering requirements. Approve, confer and negotiate with suppliers. Devise testing methods and procedures.
• Leverage policies and processes in the business unit to get to root cause on systemic Quality and Safety problems. Drive the utilization of the quality and safety systems and procedures
• Oversee the development and maintenance of operating policies and procedures for Quality and Food Safety
• Direct programs for support of existing products, examining competitor products and characterizing components in newly developed products.
• Collaborate with business development groups in identifying new opportunities including potential acquisitions
• Collaborate with the Product Strategy Management platforms ensuring that products meet customer expectations.
• Collaborate with Supply Chain to ensure that co-manufacturing outcomes meet the Company’s expectations.
• Promote food safety and uphold the culture of the Company’s non-negotiables
• Oversee and guide the Quality leadership teams in identifying and resolving sanitation issues through recognized problem-solving techniques.
• Work with VPs of Operations to identify process related problems, with emphasis on providing solutions and improvements, new processes and technologies.
• Develop the QA and Food Safety leadership teams to identify high risk practices in the workplace and take action to prevent them.
• Establish in-process product inspection standards by studying manufacturing methods and devising testing methods and procedures.
• Establish standards for the disposition of finished product by devising evaluation tests, methods and procedures.
• Establish product quality documentation system by writing and updating quality assurance procedures.
• Oversee the development and implementation of improvement metrics and KPIs.
• Maintain product quality by enforcing quality assurance policies and procedures and government requirements; collaborating with other members of management to develop new product and engineering designs and manufacturing and training methods.
• Prepare product and process quality reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
• Achieve financial objectives by preparing the quality assurance and food safety budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
• Provide leadership on crisis management and lead efforts to mitigate and resolve issues that arise on Quality and Food Safety
• Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in all aspects of Quality and Food Safety
• Bachelor’s Degree in Food Safety/ Quality (or similar discipline) required; advanced education preferred
• Ideal candidate will have 10-15 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong nutrition/food experience in highly complex and global environment (dairy industry preferred)
• Strong leadership and influencing skills including a comfort level with formal group presentations and interacting with individuals at all levels of an organization
• Ability to work effectively as part of a cross functional matrix organization
• Entrepreneurial spirit; ability and willingness to be a “hands on” working leader (but not a micromanager)
• Experience working across multiple geographies and manufacturing platforms
• Experience in working across multiple quality/HS programs and regulatory environments
The compensation package for this position is commensurate with experience and includes an attractive base salary with annual bonus incentive and a competitive benefits package.