Our client is a Public, $4B+ in annual sales, fast growth Regional grocery retail leader with over 23,000 associates with HQ in the Mid-Atlantic market. This role reports to the SVP, Merchandising and Marketing and will oversee over 60% of the total company sales.
The Vice-President Center of Store Sales will oversee 60% of the Company’s retail volume. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Merchandising & Marketing, the successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining and improving the Company’s competitive position in its markets in the areas of Grocery, Dairy, Frozen Foods, General Merchandise, Health & Beauty, and Beer and Wine.
The selected Vice President of Center Store Sales plans and directs the Company’s Center Store merchandising and procurement programs. He/she will provide the strategic vision and goals for the Center Store categories. The Vice President plans and develops merchandising assortments, buying programs and in-store presentations which will result in achievement of targeted Center Store sales, profit and turnover. In addition, he/she:
- Directs and controls all Center Store buying and pricing.
- Directs and controls Center Store selection, promotion, and assists in developing of advertising plans.
- Develops financial forecasts for Center Store sales and profit.
- Motivates and drives Center Store teams to achieve center Store sales and profit objectives.
- Champions new ideas, identifies trends in the marketplace and implements initiatives that establish best-in-class Center Store departments and Weis Markets as the leader in the retail grocery industry.
The Vice President of Center Store Sales will have the following direct reports:
- Directors of Center Store Sales & Merchandising (3)
- Senior Manager of Pricing
- Senior Manager of Center Store Merchandising
In addition, the successful candidate will have a total organization that includes these indirect reports: Category Managers (15), Category Merchandisers (11), Private Brands Manager, Vendor Communications Coordinator, Store Merchandising Manager and the Field Grocery Set Team (6).
Our successful candidate should have a demonstrable track record of success at a proven food/grocery retail chain. This individual should have particular expertise in marketing, merchandising and sales, and may also have substantial operations experience. He/she should be a strategic thinker able to assess markets and competition, and from that assessment devise ways to succeed in a competitive marketplace. Stylistically, it is expected that this person will be consensus-oriented and able to motivate and inspire. That collaborative approach is particularly important in interaction with the operations team. This individual needs to be a superb leader and good communicator able to drive positive change in the organization while continuing to support the strong familial culture of the enterprise.
While the geographic scope of this search includes all of the United States and Canada, it is anticipated that the successful candidate will exhibit a familiarity and comfort level with the company’s more rural location. Our client company is a maximum of three hours driving distance from New York City and Philadelphia and 2.5 hours from Baltimore, but its small-town charm can be best appreciated by candidates who do not require a major metropolitan lifestyle. Candidates seeking superb outdoor recreational opportunities including fishing, hunting, boating, and skiing will gravitate toward our client.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 15 years previous retail grocery experience in positions of increasing responsibility and a thorough understanding of retail operations, preferably in the supermarket industry.
- Experience with a recognized and reputable multi-site retail organization(s) demonstrating best-in-class practices and strategies.
- Strong merchandising and field operations background in a customer driven environment with a proven track record of achieving solid financial results.
- Demonstrated ability to foster and build a dynamic, team-oriented, results-driven environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop marketing and sales programs.
- Strong negotiation skills and knowledge of the supplier community.
- Demonstrated understanding of P&L management and budget development.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft business programs and basic computer functions.
- Top Tier Intelligence: Superior cognitive ability; able to simplify complex situations; make sound judgments; research and analyze various types of data.
- Strategic Thinker: “Thought Leader”. Big picture thinker who anticipates future trends and consequences and creates competitive strategies and plans. Values innovation. Effectively blends creative competence with excellence. Not rigidly tied to one approach or philosophy.
- Business Savvy: Knows how to maneuver through the organization to get things done. Builds effective relationships with critical decision makers and others in the organization.
- Results Orientation: Demonstrates a sense of urgency to overcome obstacles and achieve measurable results. Resourceful and driven. Willing to get hands dirty and personally drive projects and timelines.
- Self Confidence: Willing to take educated, fact-based risks. Courageous and comfortable advocating unpopular positions. Balances confidence with demonstrated openness to others’ ideas and gives credit where it is due.
- Superior Interpersonal Skills/Team Orientation: Ability to interact easily with all levels within the organization; tactful; mature; flexible. High level of collaboration and influencing skills. Strong planning, organizing, delegating and decision-making abilities.
- Superior Communication Skills: Written, verbal and presentation. Understands importance of frequent and effective communication. Understands audiences’ needs and desires and can respond well on their feet.
- Strong Business Results Orientation: Passion for the business and an intense drive to understand the goals, financial targets, deliverables and challenges the business faces to deliver results. Spends time “out in the business” shoulder to shoulder with the front line to ensure the voice of the employee is represented.
- Character: Does the right thing. Highly professional and ethical with unquestioned integrity.
Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field is required. Graduate degree is preferred.
Compensation includes a market-competitive base salary, annual bonus target of 30% (company has paid out almost 200% of bonus target the last 2 years), 25% of annual salary LTI (cash plan, 3 year vesting) and a company car.