A driver is responsible for delivering products ( carpet, wood, ceramic tile, vinyl, pad, sundries, food, produce, equipment, cars, livestock ) safely and efficiently, to customers, domiciled drivers or warehouses. Those performing this job usually work alone and receive direction from Driver Supervisors, Dispatchers, Warehouse Managers and in some cases Regional Transportation Managers.
Some positions are union or non-union.
- Completes pre-operational and post-operational inspections on all job related equipment to include tractors, trailers and off loading devices.
- Completes required DOT and company related paperwork.
- Operates equipment in accordance with DOT and company rules. Adheres to all local, state and federal laws.
- Utilizes Intermec hand – held device to record and complete deliveries.
- Communicates with regional transportation personnel at regular intervals throughout route.
- Delivers product to customers at agreed upon times. Unloads product in a safe manner while paying attention to the quality of the product and the requirements of the customer.
- Collects payment and/or return items from the customer.
- Communicates delivery specific information to transportation personnel to aid in territory planning and route maintenance.
- Adheres to all safety requirements outlined in USA.
- Must be willing to cross-train on other jobs
- May be required to operate lift truck ( pole, fork ) or other equipment supplied by the customer in order to unload goods.
- Any other duty or assignment requested by management.