The Toolmaker uses engineering knowledge and methods to maintain molding tools. Researches, develops and implements improvements to tooling and equipment to improve product quality. Works with plant engineer to identify problems with performance. Recommends solutions or enhancements. Documents test and tooling development activities in reports. Trains production assemblers on new or modified tools.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide “right first time” tooling solutions for plastic injection molding machinery within the manufacturing facility.
- Management and procurement of spare tools.
- Build detailed preventative maintenance program for all injection mold tools.
- Responsible for ensuring tooling in on time and to budget ensuring they meet customer requirements managing resources to achieve the desire output.
- Facilitate weekly continuous improvement sessions promoting best practice and health and safety in addition to improvements to tooling provision.
- Key position on new projects from the RFQ stage, through order placement, supplier management, buy off, commissioning, final sign off and acceptance.
- Report weekly status of project timing plans with tooling, equipment and component suppliers.
- Lead all activities through design, manufacture and sign off tooling at suppliers.
- Ensure that the supplier delivers quality documentation on product quality for build phases including Initial Sample Inspection Report (ISIR), capability studies and surface finish assessment for signoff,
- Ensures confirmation of adherence to Tooling Standards.
- Manage and build new relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Participate in developing and maintaining relevant engineering processes and procedures.
- Responsible for evaluating technical issues in order to develop proposals for investigations and/or solutions.
- Plan, control and deliver assigned projects, ensuring requirements are delivered to plan and budget (managing a number of projects at any one time)
- Work alongside the customer on new and existing product development ensuring delivery of solutions to meet the customers’ requirements.
- Keep up to date in relevant technical areas; develop skills and capabilities and supply support and expertise to others as required (including supporting the development of the new appointed engineers as required)
- Ensure that any changes to product specification, project scope or deliverables requested by the customer are identified and considered for their commercial and timing implications and that they are communicated to the relevant Commercial Manager before agreement and implementation ensuring uncontrolled creep of project scope does not occur.
- Support the identification of business opportunities.
- Support lean activities.
- Ensuring the promotion of customer focus throughout the organization and in particular, your area of responsibility.
- Ensuring that the integrity of the quality management system is maintained when changes to the quality management system are planned and implemented.
- Ensuring that the processes are delivering their intended outputs.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Design Engineering (or equivalent)
- Minimum of 5 years experience on the shop floor as highly skilled toolmaker for multi cavity (32 to 64 cavity) injection mold tools. .
- Experience with hot runner systems (32-64 cavity).
- Expert in tool qualification, knowledge of scientific molding process.
- Excellent working knowledge of problem solving and failure mode avoidance tools (Six Sigma, 8D, and DMAIC).
- Experience with Injection Molding, Scientific molding, High cavity tools, direct feed tooling and polymers.
- Green or black belt 6 sigma DFSS
- Familiar with FDA and EPA
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of Pro-E/Solidworks, MS Project, CTQ flow-down statistical tools, simulation tool experience and PLM.
- Experience working in a fast moving industry.