Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs complex main engine, engine ignition, fuel system, and engine emission control system diagnosis and repair, to include repair of diesel, gas, and alternative fuel system configurations.
- Performs complex diagnosis and repair of automatic, standard, and electronic transmission mechanical and control systems, to include standard transmission clutch operating systems, transaxle and transfer case systems, and all phases of final drive operation.
- Performs complex diagnosis and repair of various types of supension, steering, power assist, and alignment systems; diagnoses and repairs various types of brake systems, to include hydraulic systems, disc and drum brake applications, air brake systems, and anti-lock brake systems operation.
- Performs complex general electrical and electronic system diagnosis and repair, to include starting and charging systems, electrical wiring systems, gauges and warning systems, and accessory systems; diagnoses and repairs ventilation systems, heat and air conditioning systems, refrigerant recovery, and mechanical systems.
- Performs all phases of maintenance required for fleet vehicles operation.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
- High school diploma or GED; at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. Certification/Licensure Certified as Master Automotive Technician by Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) or equivalent; Certified in areas required by City, State, and/or Federal Agencies (i.e., Freon Recovery/Emission Inspection).
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to use automotive diagnostic equipment and hand and power tools.
- Ability to diagnose, repair, and maintain automotive vehicles and various types of equipment, along with associated sub-systems.
- Ability to test drive all vehicles repaired.
- Ability to perform complex automotive vehicle and equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.