TIG Welder (Night Shift)
United States of America
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, and defence and space agencies worldwide. At Magellan we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry and believe one truth: People create value.
Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual and invest in our employees.
When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!
Magellan Aerospace, Glendale has an exciting new opportunity for a TIG Welder. The successful incumbent will TIG Weld various types of defects on magnesium and aluminum alloy castings per customer specification and weld schedule. The Welder will be knowledgeable of the welding properties of magnesium and aluminum alloys, welding rods pre-heat temperature and allowances for the effect of shrinkage, warpage and expansion. Please note this position operates on the night shift from 12pm to 11pm.
- Clean castings to ensure all castings are properly prepared prior to welding
- Fit and secure back-up plates as required
- Pre-heat castings to require temperature prior to weld
- Start welder per weld schedule and regulate water coolant for torch head
- Select proper electrodes, machine settings, gas flow rates and welding rods
- Perform plug welding as required
- Remove defects as indicated on x-ray film as required
- Perform work requiring a thorough knowledge of welding properties of magnesium and aluminum alloys, welding rods, pre-heat temperature and allowances for the effect of shrinkage, warpage and expansion.
- Weld test plates as required to customers’ specifications
- Color coding of weld rod in accordance with instructions in Quality Control procedures
- Record welds in daily log sheets
- Advise MRB and/or supervisor on suitability of welding castings
- Maintain a clean work area
- Notify supervisor of any job irregularities, faulty equipment or material
- Complete other work assignments from supervisor as assigned
- At least 5 years of related experience welding magnesium and aluminum alloys, preferably in the Aerospace industry
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
- Skilled in mathematics
- Ability to use height gages, micrometers, calipers etc., to measure, check and correlate information with blueprints, specifications and repair routings to perform welding operations consistent with approved specifications
Magellan Aerospace is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for our employees. Magellan supports public health COVID-19 guidelines and encourages employees to get vaccinated. Although mandates are not a requirement at Magellan, this may be subject to change and offers of employment may be contingent on vaccination status with respect to changes in legislation.
Magellan Aerospace respects the privacy and confidentiality of personal information provided by candidates and shall not disclose to any external parties unless legislated.
Magellan Aerospace is committed to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities for all. We welcome all applications without regard to social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, national origin or religious belief, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law)