The Systems Engineer will maintain optimal performance of the Company's IP-based voice and data products and associated systems, to include supporting and administering routers, switches, servers, and related technologies; and monitoring, analyzing and correcting performance, as necessary, to ensure compliance with service level agreements.
Able to work independently in the following areas:
- Install new hardware, systems, and software for network and system infrastructure.
- Install, configure, and maintain network services, equipment and devices for core and/or customer solutions.
- Support administration of servers and server clusters. Manage all system backups and restoration protocols.
- Plan and support network and computing infrastructure.
- Perform troubleshooting analysis of network and system infrastructure and associated systems . Document network problems and their resolutions for future reference.
- Monitor system performance and implement performance tuning. Manage user accounts, permissions, email, anti-virus, anti-spam. Oversee software and network security.
- Provide training instruction on platforms, equipment and related applications. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Direct and coordinate the efforts of lower-level Engineers within the workgroup.
5+ years of experience leading to the ability to be a Subject Matter Expert in the following areas:
- Information processing principles, practices and demonstrated ingenuity in performing troubleshooting and root cause analysis of complex cross-functional problems.
- Fundamental IP, routing and switching concepts.
- System administration.
- Familiarity with a broad cross section of IP based systems and networking technologies.
- Ordering, provisioning, turn up and troubleshooting of telecommunications circuits from CPE access lines to enterprise and core class lines (Metro-E, DS-3, OC-x etc.)
- Theoretical knowledge and extensive. hands on experience configuring, troubleshooting, optimizing and managing a relevant mix of following software, hardware, protocols and technologies:
- Core and enterprise-class routers, switches, network security appliances, WAN accelerators, and intelligent port aggregators and taps.
- Access technologies, including dial, xDSL, TDM and carrier Ethernet.
- VPN and firewall technologies
- Wireless data network technologies and infrastructure
- Network services and user management applications (i.e. DNS, LDAP, email, RADIUS, etc.).
- Extensive experience with scripting and automating execution of configuration and data collection tasks, utilizing tools (Exped, RANCID, SNMP, etc.), shells (Bourne, bash, korn, etc.), and languages (Perl, PHP, Python, etc.).
- CCNA or equivalent
Desired (not required)
- Previous experience in Carrier and Service Provider organizations is strongly preferred.
- CCIE, JNCIE, CISSP, CCNP or equivalent network and or system certification.