- This individual manages the direct defense of select claims litigation cases as assigned by the Litigation Manager. The Internal Lawyer will be the Attorney of record and will also serve as a Litigation Specialist managing cases through outside counsel where the case does not meet the criteria established below for Staff Counsel to manage. Supervises a Legal Analyst as necessary to accomplish the role responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and directly defends the company, as attorney of record, in litigation cases directly assigned to him/her by the Litigation Manager throughout the litigation process in a manner that provides the best outcome for the Company.
- Evaluates lawsuits within the first 30-60 days of assignment for effective and efficient early resolution or recommends lawsuits be further managed and assigned to outside counsel.
- Timely drafts or responds to complaints, discovery requests and file other motions and pleadings as necessary with the court, or other tribunal as needed, to effectively defend the Company.
- Attends mediations, hearings or other meetings or appointments as necessary as attorney of record for assigned cases as necessary to properly and effectively represent the company.
- Creates, drafts, modifies, updates and adjusts needed templates for use in pleadings, discovery and motions necessary to properly and adequately manage the case. This includes, without limitation, Answers, Notices of Appearance, Motions and basic discovery.
- Recommends and implements specific actions in litigated cases for their swift resolution.
- Oversees and manages the Legal Analyst to ensure adequate support for the effective management of cases assigned, including assistance with filings, drafting, scheduling and maintaining adequate file records in a timely manner.
- Provides written and verbal evaluations, recommendations and successfully resolves cases within applicable authority limits or consults and provides recommendations for successful case resolution to the Litigations Manager and/or Vice President of Legal & Compliance.
- Maintains and provides regular metrics, data and other information relating to case load in order to monitor progress, trends and effectiveness of the Internal Lawyer position.
- Manages assigned 1st and 3rd party litigated property claims of medium to high severity & complexity for those cases assigned through outside counsel management.
- Directs defense attorneys throughout the litigation process in accordance with corporate objectives.
- Responds to decisions, agreements, and/or court orders; creates action plan; determines need for examination.
- Requests legal/private investigation; assigns to and coordinates with local counsel; monitors local counsel performance.
- Identifies issues; formulates defense strategy, establishes/adjusts accrued liability, attends mediations or hearings as needed on specific cases being handled.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine coverage, damages and liability of first-party property damage claims. Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense reserves. Negotiates and conveys claim settlements within authority limits.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations per best practices.
- Maintains an effective diary system and documents claim file activities in accordance with established procedures. Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation in files while developing appropriate follow-up measures.
- Works collaboratively with all departments and external customers.
- Creates, prepares and analyzes reports on litigation trends and processes.
- Performs other duties as required.
- This job description has been prepared to indicate the general nature and level of the work that the employees perform within their classification. This description is not and cannot be interpreted as an inventory of all the duties, tasks, responsibilities and qualifications required for the employees assigned to this job.
Education and / or Experience:
- Juris Doctor Degree is required and a minimum of eight (5) years of experience of litigation and all levels of claim processing and demonstrated ability to evaluate large and complex claims.
- Demonstrates extensive knowledge of litigation/claim process at all level as well as the ability to evaluate large and complex claims.
- Demonstrated experience managing or supervising the work of administrative personnel.
- Must plan effectively and efficiently, organize and have the ability to handle multiple priorities while working independently.
- Works in a collaborative atmosphere with vendors and co-workers.
- Computer literate; Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to analyze facts and make decisions, self-starter, and excellent written and oral communication skills at all levels.
Licenses and / or Certifications:
- Florida Bar Membership is required. Maintain properly bar licensure in the jurisdiction where performing Internal Lawyer duties.
- A valid driver’s license and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Driving Record.