Sr. Claims Specialist This position reports to the AVP of Surety Claims. The successful candidate will be able to provide insight and analysis on a variety of surety bond claims.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Handle Surety claims and related systems and processes.
- Evaluate exposures and make substantive claim decisions for Surety claims.
- Proven ability to provide coverage, liability and damages analysis for Surety claims.
- Ability to proactively identify trends and exposures that may affect the Surety portfolio.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of exposure to underwriting and management.
- Ensure appropriate narrative and arithmetic reports are timely prepared and disseminated.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree Required. JD preferred but not required.
- Minimum 7 plus years’ experience required in surety bond claims handling with a career history of increasing responsibility.
- Strong preference for candidate who has pursued or is in the process of pursuing an insurance related designation (e.g. RPLU, CPCU IIA).
- Direct handling of a wide variety of surety bond exposure claims, including but not limited to contract, payment & performance, sub-division, license & permit, oil & gas, reclamation and other commercial program bonds with an emphasis on evaluating, handling, negotiating and settling litigated and non-litigated matters with typical exposures from $0 to $1,000,000 USD.
- Demonstrated ability to establish close working relationship with other departments including underwriting & actuarial.
- Strong negotiating, analytical, written and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook and various in-house claims systems –Guidewire and ImageRight is a plus).
- Multiple state adjuster licenses a plus.