The primary function of the Shop Superintendent is to manage and direct all fabrication and production at the facility stationed with a focus on safety, quality, production and team building. Lead a team of foreman in a continuous improvement environment and ensure shop production schedules are meet.
This position reports directly to the Corporate Facility Superintendent while working closely with corporate leaders such as the Corporate Maintenance Manager, Operations Coordinators, Weld Foreman, Coatings Manager, Safety Directors and Quality Manager in a cross-functional matrix to support all production needs.
- Manage and direct all day to day facility operations by leading a team of foreman with a focus on Safety, Quality and production.
- Be aware of all project specific technical specifications and schedules to know if material is onsite and time is allowed for completion. Coordinate with Corporate Facility Superintendent for priorities and schedule.
- Review all drawings and know and understand what work that will be in fabrication on the floor and plan for where, who and how the work will be done.
- Know all shop personnel and their attributes to plan for most productive placement of shop personnel.
- Ensure the facility is adequately staffed for all shifts to meet production needs by evaluating shortfalls and relaying information to Management.
- Ensure the facility has the equipment and consumables needed to meet production needs by communicating with appropriate point of contact.
- Ensure Foreman follow all shop procedures and company policies by using established procedures and documentation while meeting production goals.
- Inform senior management of any issues that will affect production, quality or safety.
- Coach and develop all shop personnel and determine what training they require and what position they can fill that will benefit the shop the most.
- Must be able to follow directives of senior management and direct Shop Foreman efficiently in order to follow-up on all directives given.
- An individual must be able to perform each essential duty above average and always represent the company in a professional manner. The requirements listed are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or abiilty
- The Shop Superintendent must have a background in supervision, coaching, managing processes, process improvement, production planning and possess strong interpersonal skills.
Education and/or Experience
- Six to ten years’ experience in the heavy steel fabrication industry with a focus on ASME, API and AISC code work required.
- DOT work preferred.
- High School education required.
- Capable in Microsoft office programs such as excel and word.