Magellan Aerospace, Llay Wrexham has an exciting opportunity for a Shift Manager
- Full Time Permanent Contract
- 24/5 Shift Pattern
- Job location: Llay, Wrexham, LL12 0PB.
- Unionised site – works in partnership with Unite the Union.
Magellan Aerospace is looking for a strong and dynamic Shift Manager to join our Wrexham Operations Team. Our successful candidate will lead the development of a cross functional operational shift towards a high-performing world class manufacturing environment in which personal accountability, responsibility, development of people, structured training and continuous improvement are expected and delivered across safety, quality, cost, delivery and people.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary
- Company pension plan
- On site bonus scheme
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Discounts available with selected mobile companies
- Discounts available with selected gym membership
- Employee Advantages Scheme
- Long Service Awards
- Occupational Health and ergonomics focussed
- Extended paid Holiday Entitlement based on length of service
- Free parking
- Is a champion for and leads best Health & Safety practice in all areas of the site through the shift management structure.
- Challenge & reviews poor working practices.
- Engage with other support functions, i.e. Engineering and Continuous Improvement, when appropriate.
- Holds additional EHS responsibility such as H&S committee member and site incident control officer for shift emergencies such as fire, spill, tank leak and medical emergency
- Through supervisor and team leader ensure:
- Employees have basic H&S induction and training for their activity
- Equipment – ensure robust adherence to PPMs for equipment and pre-use safety checks
- Method – ensure adherence to processes, risk assessments and SOPs
- Materials – ensure compliance to safe use, handling and storage of materials
- Environment – ensure working environment is kept safe, clean and maintained to a safe target condition
- 100 % completion of all company & legal requirements
- Responsible for product quality
- All actions resulting from Quality audits are reviewed and appropriate plan in place to ensure all external accreditations are maintained utilising A3’s and 8D’s to manage corrective actions
- Responsible for the overall delivery of the production plans across multiple areas
- Responsible for removing all blockers to the production plan and ensuring flow of product between the key areas
- Overall responsibility for presenting production KPI’s on a daily basis and creating recovery plans to overcome failures
- Drives robust adherence to SQCDP board meeting structure with clear ownership and accountabilities by the shift team and escalation as appropriate.
- Drives improvements in all site KPI’s. Use all available resources to collate, and root cause analysis to identify and act promptly upon accurate shift and downtime data.
- Responsible for the management and update of all Control Boards
- Actively seek to reduce waste, utilize the 8 fundamental wastes of manufacturing (TIMWOODI)
- Ensure that manning plans are in place with the correct resources available to deliver the production plan
- Maximise the availability and efficiency of equipment i.e. machine tools/assembly areas and treatments
- Ensure all areas are ready and available for use to meet weekly production plan
People (Employee Engagement)
- Build strong collaborative working relationships and trust with / between, colleagues, in particular Shift Leaders, Team Members and peer Leaders, sharing knowledge, skills and experience.
- Manage, motivate and develop teams though regular performance reviews. Evidence of regular performance reviews both formal and informal and completion of supporting documentation.
- To own the development of skills matrices for each area, ensuring that all team members have the opportunity to develop as appropriate and those with potential have the opportunity to progress. Continual monitoring of development plans.
- Manage performance of team members via supervisors or team leaders, if appropriate, through the formal policies that are in place
- Remove restrictions to enable Team Members to provide flexibility across own and other shifts.
- Ensure full appropriately skilled and experienced teams at all times. No stoppages attributed to break times or lack of trained personnel.
- GCSE or equivalent (minimum Maths and English)
- IOSH Managing Safely Certificate or equivalent experience
- ILM Level 5 Certificate or suitable supervisory qualification/experience
- Desirable: NEBOSH certificate
- Production/Manufacturing environment experience – Aerospace experience would be desirable
- Man-management experience
- Lean Manufacturing Tools/Techniques
- Experience and understanding of auditing and ISO 9001, if not a formal auditing qualification
- Internal audit experience and an ability to carry out production audits and instruct Shift Leaders and Team Members in best practice
- PC literate
- Evidence of introducing best practice and continuous improvements
- Evidence of having introduced standard working practices
- Communicates what is expected of others, sets clear success criteria, emphasising how individuals contribute to overall result
- Acts decisively when faced with urgent issues
- Takes accountability and responsibility for decisions and stands by them
- Delegates effectively to others, knows when to ‘let go’ – empowers the team
- Motivates, inspires and encourages others
- Monitors performance of individuals and teams, gives constructive feedback – both formally and informally
Development of self and others
- Identifies mentors or role models to aid his / her personal development and keep industry knowledge up to date
- Stretching his / her self to think and behave differently and encouraging others to do the same
- Setting development objectives and plans, seeking feedback to improve personal performance
- Understanding and sharing his / her own strengths and development needs with others to get the best results
- Show initiative and proactively makes things happen
- Demonstrates energy and drive, taking ownership of tasks
- Works with commitment and dedication
- Knows when to act, rather than sitting back and waiting to be asked
- Seeks opportunities to take on further responsibility, avoids leaving things that are ‘not my job’
- Show confidence when taking action, works with pace and energy to overcome challenges
- Shows resilience and self-belief, persisting in the face of opposition, remaining calm and focused
- Acts with drive, passion and urgency in the pursuit of goals and objectives
- Consistently exceeding expectations, going the extra mile to achieve results
Adjusting to Change
- Shows consistency and integrity, acting in line with company standards and values when under pressure
- Being open to constant innovation and changes to working practices, willing to experiment with new ideas
- Acts as a positive change agent, with the ability to make decisions
- Being flexible and adaptable when facing tough calls
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, defence and space agencies worldwide. The organization officially adopted the name “Magellan Aerospace Corporation” in 1996; deriving it from the intrepid explorer Ferdinand Magellan. His global exploits at the turn of the 15th century established a number of firsts, so the company’s vision has been to carry this same legacy into the future of the aerospace industry.
At Magellan, we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value. Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual, and every individual is fundamental to the success of our business, so we invest in our employees and provide excellent career progression opportunities. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!