The Sewing Machine Mechanic is responsible for maintaining the day-to-day function, operation, and maintenance of our production machinery used across our apparel manufacturing process. This will include including sewing machine repair, set up, adjustments, and programming for optimal performance.
Candidates MUST HAVE technical experience and aptitude to include mechanical, electrical, electronics, pneumatic, and preventative and/or predictive maintenance. The mechanic’s goal is to configure machines for optimal production and ensure that they’re in working order to minimize down time and capable of operating at target levels.
- Sets up and configures machinery at the start of each production order so the machine is optimized for fabric, operation, and product.
- Adjusts machinery as needed to support quality and production targets.
- Conducts daily preventative maintenance and repair program to reduce machine downtime.
- Assists with ordering, building, and/or installing equipment and configurations using guides and attachments to allow operators with different abilities to perform on such machines, and reduce operator handling.
- Recommend necessary upgrades and specialized machinery to enhance production efficiencies and reduce production costs.
- Leads safety-first culture and helps implement and ensure safety procedures are used throughout production facility.
- Works according to safety procedures including lockout/tag when repairing and working on machines.
- Maintain spare parts inventory for all equipment assigned. Order machine parts, equipment, and configurations when approved.
- Must be able to read and comprehend customer specification and quality requirements.
- Repair, modify, adjust and calibrate production machinery in accordance with predetermined standards.
- Test equipment after the repair has been made.
- Assess performance problems and take appropriate corrective action.
- Must be able to work independently in locating parts and services.
- Maintain good housekeeping standards for tool cribs and supplies and tools.
- Assist other mechanics as needed.
- Assume additional responsibilities; perform additional duties, and complete special projects as assigned.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in teams.
- Knowledge of single needle, 5 thread overlock seamers, cover stitch, regular overlock, bar tack, double lap seam machine programmable automatic machines and buttonhole machines.
- 1-5 years’ experience working with industrial sewing equipment High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Ability to use hand, power, and other tools.
- Ability to read and write. Knowledge of basic math.
This is a full-time, hourly paid position working 1st shift Monday through Friday from 6:00 am to 2:30 pm; and offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits plan to include medical, dental, vision, profit sharing and 401K plans, life insurance, and more.
Magid Glove & Safety is America’s leading manufacturer, distributor and importer of hand protection and safety products i.e. work gloves, fall protection, gas detection, reusable and disposable respirators, clean room, 1st aid and all other safety related products. Magid is a financially stable, growing and privately held business, which has provided safety solutions to thousands of companies since 1946.
Magid is an Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/female/disabled/veteran