Company's fully remote Transportation Specialist can be located in the US in one of the following states: WA, MT, UT, NV, WI, MI, OH, PA.
Manage all aspects relative to the movement of Company’s lime and limestone products by Truck to ensure the effective and efficient shipping and receiving of finished products by truck in accordance with demand-driven shipment schedules, at the lowest cost possible, and free of exceptions. In addition to finished product truck related activities, this position will also support regional teams with inbound material requirements by truck. This position will be the point of contact for Truck-related topics for internal stakeholders (sales, manufacturing, terminal operations, procurement etc.) as part of the logistics team. As the primary point of contact with Truck carriers and third-party service providers, this role will manage service providers to Company standards.
This position will lead the RFP process in conjunction with the Logistics Manager, by defining service requirements, reviewing bids, negotiating rates, and measuring truck carrier performance against freight contracts to optimize truck assets, utilization, and cost of delivery.
- Lead continuous improvement opportunities for current processes within the role to foster further simplification, visibility, and efficiency.
- Identify constraints/root cause, develop solutions, implement solutions, track results, and refine.
- Drive strategy, tactical improvements, and cost reduction initiatives, to ensure carrier service is a value-add to the organization
- Identify opportunities to improve shipping schedules to minimize gate to gate times and load sizes
- Issue and manage monthly key performance indicators (KPI’s)
- Develop carrier performance scorecard and KPIs
- Assist in the review/implementation of new technology to improve visibility and metrics tracking
- Analysis of data to provide necessary business insights and to make recommendations to improve the business and optimize our operations and carrier utilization
- Manage, and routinely measure, service providers performance to Company standards
- Negotiate all inbound/outbound truck freight contracts with guidance from the Logistics Manager.
- Calibrate carrier capacity, based off sales forecasts and improved efficiencies of carrier management, to optimize service and cost components
- Work with shipping locations to leverage backhaul opportunities and continuous improvement opportunities to improve service while minimizing/optimizing costs.
- Support Logistics Manager in developing standardized (regional) accessorial charges and business parameters for ease of administration and analysis.
- Maintain data for respective mode
- Freight rates, fuel surcharge, asset costs, cycle times, safety, insurance, contracts etc
- Create and maintain a current customer/source/carrier matrix: preferred, secondary carriers and alternate ship locations for customer and freight to terminal deliveries
- Administrative activities including ensuring carrier payable accounts are current and accurate, setup of new carriers in supplier master, maintain carrier records, perform carrier due diligence (insurance, safety records), process POs as required.
- Support the Logistics Manager with business and financial analysis
- Provide finance with input into budget tools for terminal and customer freight cost forecasts
- Work with peers to establish and maintain Company carrier safety compliance criteria and manage carrier safety performance against the established criteria
- Accountable for resolution of carrier safety incidents and quality concerns, in conjunction with Customer service, plants, quality, and supply chain teams.
- Maintain positive and productive working relationships with key carrier personnel and act as an effective and proactive liaison to both internal stakeholders and external touchpoints and agencies.
- Maintain awareness of all industry developments via key trade associations, councils, conferences, publications, etc.
- Truck/Logistics experience demonstrating progressive leadership ability in a Logistics/Supply Chain environment.
- Undergraduate degree
- Industry certification preferred: PLog., APICS, or other Logistics/Supply Chain Association designation.
- Strong initiative and motivation to understand the business, identify, investigate, and act on value creation opportunities.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment to meet established deadlines.
- Drive to overcome obstacles and successfully complete what is started; focused squarely on value-added priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships across functions, departments, and/or locations.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills; able to adapt the message to the audience.
- Financial and business acumen
- Basic Computer knowledge, JDE or other ERP systems experience a plus, Prolific in Microsoft Suite, Excel, experience in pivot tables a plus
- Problem solving, complex, and decentralized inventory planning
- Ability to travel up to 20% of time.