GeneCoda has been retained to identify and evaluate candidates for a Senior Medicinal Chemist to ideally be located in the Research Triangle Park, NC or Charleston, SC marketplace.
About Our Client:
Our client is an innovative, drug discovery company leveraging machine learning techniques to redesign and optimize drug candidates for known and well validated drug targets.
Our client’s platform enables them to alter drugs that have made it into the clinic but failed to advance for structural reasons.
Our client is seeking an accomplished medicinal chemist with a proven track record of success in small molecule drug discovery. The ideal candidate will have initiated at least one project in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology company environment and participated in several projects managed by clear go/no go criteria.
Initially, the candidate will advance new projects into the machine learning stage. Successful projects will move candidate structures to synthesis at Contract Research Organizations (CRO’s) coordinated by the Chemist. Our goal for the new hire is to move at least one project to the cell-based screening stage in the first year of employment.
- Drive the team forward by identifying therapeutic areas where machine learning may be able to optimize chemical structures to solve shortcomings of existing drugs or drug candidates.
- Make suggestions on how to optimize lead series for potency, selectivity, physiochemical properties, in vitro ADME, and PK by the company’s machine learning technology.
- Use sound scientific methods to propose hypotheses and determine next steps even with complex or ambiguous data.
- Work as a full member of the company’s group of scientists to design novel compounds and hypotheses that address key drug optimization goals.
- Provide medicinal chemistry insight for new target and lead identification and evaluation initiatives.
- Proactively investigate candidate medicinal chemistry space to improve the starting point of the machine learning process.
Education: PhD in Synthetic Organic Chemistry or Chemical Biology.
Experience and Qualifications:
- 3+ years of experience in small molecule drug discovery in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical setting is necessary.
- An understanding of and experience in both chemistry and biology.
- The ideal person will have launched at least one project of their own conceptualization which was advanced to early-stage development.
- Extensive experience in lead compound optimization for potency, selectivity, ADME and PK.
- Expert in using common medicinal chemistry software: electronic notebook, ChemDraw, Excel; data visualization; structure viewing; literature, chemical and database searching.
- Committed to staying current with the latest scientific breakthroughs in the medicinal chemistry field through continued reading of the literature and attendance of scientific conferences.
- Prior participation in the preparation of patent claims is desired.
- An ability and interest to dive into unfamiliar projects and fix structural limitations.
- Strong collaborative skills. Team player mentality.
- Effective decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
GeneCoda refers qualified applicants for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, disability, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, family medical history or genetic information, sexual orientation or preference, Vietnam Era Veteran status or other protected military status or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.