Senior Scientist (Liquid Handling Automation Engineer) - San Diego CA
Base Salary - USD $90,000 to $100,000
Benefits - Full
Relocation Assistance Available
One of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care.
This is a critical role within the Research and Development Team. Responsible for conceptualizing and driving the development of automation solutions for the development and testing of flow cytometry antibody reagents. With a focus on bench science, this individual will work cross-functionally and be primarily responsible for implementing, optimizing and maintaining robust and creative automation solutions. The position requires hands-on experience with automation (e.g., Hamilton or other liquid handlers) and assay development as well as a familiarity or interest in biological sciences. This position also requires an ability to think proactively and spearhead process improvements while also seeking and evaluating new technologies to apply to current work streams.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work directly with scientists to understand laboratory protocol requirements and translate those needs into automated workflows
- Apply automation experience to the process improvement and troubleshooting of laboratory procedures and workflows
- Lead and participate in programming and execution of new methods to expand throughput and capacity.
- Identify bottlenecks and perform new technology evaluations
- Collaborate cross-functionally to scale in vitro assays by multiple orders of magnitude over the coming years
- Work with vendors to implement hardware integration
- Interface with software developers to develop data management solutions
- Develop, maintain, and contribute to documentation including instrument training guides and verification design and testing reports
- Provide training to end-users as necessary
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Experience with implementing and maintaining automation solutions inclusive of systems integration and verification
- Previous experience programming Hamilton Robotics instrumentation (Venus software) is preferable
- Experience and/or knowledge of scheduling software
- Ability to troubleshoot liquid handling equipment and associated software and effectively multitask to achieve goals
- Knowledge of basic scientific principles in biology and chemistry and/or experience working closely with scientists to automate biological or chemical processes.
- Database management/data science experience is an asset (e.g., Power BI)
- Ability to program in languages such as R or Python preferred
- 3D printing experience preferred
- Self-motivated with effective analytical and problem-solving skills
- Flexible team player with good communication skills and experience working cross-functionally
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s Or Master of Science degree in Engineering, Life Sciences or Computer Science, preferably in Biomedical Engineering, Robotics, Biology, Chemistry, or related scientific discipline and a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience required.
- Or PhD with a minimum of 2 years of laboratory experience in addition to PhD studies.