Senior Instructional Designer
About the Organization:
The organization is a professional membership association headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia. The organization supports the role of human resources as a profession and provides education, certification, and networking to its members, while lobbying Congress on issues pertinent to labor management.
- Revenue: $113M
- Number of employees: 400
- Members: 285,000
The Senior Instructional Designer is responsible for the development and delivery of the organization’s eLearning and Seminar product portfolio directed to both organizations and HR professional. These products help HR professionals develop their skills, competencies, and in turn, support the advancement of the HR profession. In this capacity, the Senior Instructional Designer conducts analyses and audits to assess customer needs and designs, develops and enhances new and existing education programs. Using instructional design methodologies and adult learning principles, the Senior Instructional Designer leads the development of eLearning, virtual, classroom, and blended programs for both domestic and global audiences.
- Design new education programs and products including materials to support eLearning, instructor-led seminars, virtual Instructor-led seminars, and blended learning opportunities.
- Create project plans including summary, content outline, design approach, and timeline.
- Use a project management tool to create projects and tasks, track time on project, and deliver projects in a timely manner. Manage multiple time-sensitive projects.
- Design and develop appropriate discussions, activities, and interactive concepts to enhance learning.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders regarding program features, overview, outline, and learning objectives for marketing and pricing purposes.
- Interview Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) during the analysis and development lifecycle for their input and review.
- Conduct annual audits of eLearning products and seminars to determine necessary updates. Redesign and update current programs to reflect new laws and changes in the workplace. Inform appropriate departments of new features/content for inclusion in brochures and advertising materials.
- Make recommendations on how our programs can be tailored to provide custom solutions for corporate clients.
- Research current and emerging learning and development trends and technologies to stay current in the field of instructional design.
- Use learner, SME, and peer feedback to improve course effectiveness.
- Apply adult learning principles, theories, and practices when designing and developing content, to ensure adult learners are engaged, retain content, and implement what they learned to improve their own, and their organization’s performance.
- Coach and mentor junior designers/specialists.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, or a related field; Master’s degree in Instructional Design, Education, Educational/Instructional Technology, or a related field preferred.
- 5 years of experience designing Virtual Instructor-Led, Web-Based Asynchronous, and Classroom Instructor-Led Training.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Word and Excel for analysis and design documents, PowerPoint for seminar development.
- Proficient with Adobe Connect (or similar platform) for virtual seminars, and Adobe Creative Suite for graphics editing.
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to effectively listen, understand business requirements and translate them into products
- Team player with strong work ethic and strong collaboration skills
- SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification.
- Experience in developing education programs for private or public-sector organizations; Practical knowledge or hands-on experience in Human Resources.
- Proficient in executing all stages of the instructional design process - analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation - with an emphasis on new development and redesign.
- Ability to design and develop experiential and transformational content for a variety of delivery methods including classroom, eLearning, and virtual synchronous (via virtual delivery platforms).
This job requires occasional travel 0-10%.