The client is a well-established, top wealth management firm with a very low turnover. The firm caters to private High Net Worth and institutional clients and operates out of a downtown Toronto office.
What you will achieve in this role:
The Fund Accountant is primarily responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day accounting for one or more assigned funds. The Fund Accountant produces and analyzes financial information critical to business interests as well as creates and presents reports to management regarding accounting data to enable knowledge based decision making and forecasts. Each Fund Accountant will be responsible for a segment of the duties outlined below.
- Prepare timely and accurate Net Asset Values, yields, distributions, and other fund accounting output for subsequent review
- Record accurately, and in accordance with the Department policies and procedures, such accounting records as securities positions, corporate actions related, and journal entries
- Reconcile various accounts, or reviewing reconciliations prepared by others, and promptly researching correcting any variances
- Analyze daily Profit and Loss and work with Portfilio Managers to reconcile any known differences
- Report on daily fund returns, day over day, and month to date.
- Identify exceptions and problems affecting accounting records and prices, communicating same to management, and assisting in their resolution
- Assist, as assigned, in preparing audit schedules, compliance reports, N-SARs, tax returns, financial statements, or other reports
- Research, as assigned, certain securities in fund portfolios for the purpose of ensuring proper accounting treatment (such as the nature of distributions, original issue discounts, and international valuations) and compliance with SEC, tax, and prospectus restrictions and limitations
- Institutional fund accounting processes also include preparing, reconciling and distributing reports to/from marketing, separate custodians and investment management
- Participate in regular rotation of trade processing and other accounting processes to prepare the fund accounting system for the next day
- Responsible to account for income entitlement from corporate actions
- Responsible for overseeing the client accounting requests from Business Development and Client Administration
- Responsible for U.S. tax reporting including 1099s, PFIC and FBAR
- Exposure to the creation and validation of pooled fund semi-annual and annual financial statements is an asset.
- Review of daily credit fund valuation and review of pricing thereof.
What you must bring to this role:
Only those who are qualified will be contacted
- University or college degree in finance or accounting
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in accounting
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Above average organizational and time management skills
- Attention to detail is a must
- Excellent computer and communication skills
- Exposure Canadian/US taxes would be an asset