SENIOR ENGINEER - DEVELOPMENT ENGINEERING - www.nafor.com/hamilton
OVERVIEW - Let's build your future. In Hamilton, your ideas won't just flow; they'll cascade into projects that impact lives like a well-engineered watermain. Be the architect of change, ensuring that Hamilton's foundations are rock-solid and your future is structured for success. Come work on drainage solutions so innovative they'll make you say, "pipe-dreams really do come true!" (all puns intended)
SUMMARY - Reporting to the Manager of Development Engineering, the Senior Engineer will provide leadership to subordinate staff in a multi-disciplinary team environment that shall be responsible for development approvals and capital infrastructure projects required to facilitate the City’s growth management plan.
Accountable for ensuring that infrastructure is designed and constructed in accordance with City and Provincial guidelines and policies with minimal disruption to the public and internal departments. Using a “best practices” approach, develop and deliver quality services in a timely and cost-effective manner. Instill a customer service focus with subordinate staff.
SALARY RANGE - $106,000 to $132,500
BENEFITS - Full Benefits - Medical, Dental, Travel
PENSION - OMERS Pension - The value of this pension at retirement could be worth approx. $53,000/yr after 20 years or $66,250/yr after 25 years. Call me to discuss. It is lucrative.
LOCATION - Hamilton City Hall - 71 Main St W, Hamilton, ON L8P 4Y5
TYPE - Onsite - The role requires you to primarily work with your team at City Hall and in the field. There is modest flexibility to work from home on occasion. This is not a remote or hybrid role.
HOURS - 35 Hours per week
FULL TIME - Yes
RESPONSIBILITIES (including, but not limited to)
- Supervise staff in the engineering review and approval of development applications through the planning process (plans of subdivision, site plans, consents, etc.).
- Assume lead accountability and responsibility for approving the design of municipal infrastructure including storm water management and private infrastructure to the City’s, and other related, legislated requirements completed through the development process.
- Manage, mentor, performance mange, and provide creative leadership and direction to subordinate staff.
- Promote teamwork and integration between internal and external parties participating in cross-functional and cross program initiatives.
- Conducting and attend meetings with developers and their consultants, staff, and Councillors as necessary, to facilitate the approval process.
- Assist in developing the needs a multi-year capital budget that incorporates infrastructure extension projects to meet the needs of the City and the Development Industry.
- Track financial and servicing data related to the processing of development projects.
- Complete reports including but not limited to: reports required for municipal infrastructure extension associated with Municipal Act cost recovery projects; engineering standards and policy; representation at the Local Planning Appeal Tribunals (LPAT, formerly called as OMB).
- Present evidence to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunals as required.
- Approve infrastructure agreements and “Best Effort” recoveries in accordance with the City’s Financial Policies for Development.
- Organize staff training and education to ensure and maintain service excellence.
- Assist in establishing strategies to improve effectiveness and efficiencies in delivering services to meet mandated goals and objectives.
- Assist in developing city guidelines, policies and procedures to ensure service quality, and legislative compliance.
- Assist in the development and Implementation of the City’s staging of Development Program.
- Ensure co-ordination of activities on development and capital construction projects.
- University degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent and registered as a Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario, and demonstrated, progressive relevant work experience related to duties described.
- Must be able to demonstrate relevant experience related to duties described.
- Extensive knowledge of municipal infrastructure design and construction principles, approvals protocols, and construction materials as they relate to municipal infrastructure (road, sewer and watermain, stormwater management pond) design and construction.
- Extensive knowledge in planning, design and construction of stormwater management facilitates including reviewing of the stormwater management design reports.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the planning and development process governed by the Planning Act, along with understanding of time sensitivity of growth-related projects to the well being of the City.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a large multi-disciplinary staff in a results-oriented environment and in a predominantly unionized environment.
- Possess a demonstrated record of strong leadership and guidance, technical competence, customer focus, team advocacy, staff delegation and empowerment and be committed to results.
- Working knowledge of the Planning Act as it relates to planning approvals and authority of the municipality under the Municipal Act as they relate to the extension of municipal services and the cost recovery process as it related to development projects.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the statutes, regulations and by-laws affecting the department’s engineering responsibilities.
- Working knowledge of the collective bargaining process.
- Ability to deal effectively with elected officials, representatives of other levels of government, management, peers, staff and the general public.
- Knowledge and understanding of the requirements of health and safety responsibilities and duties for supervisors as outlined in the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Section 26 and 27.
- Strong project management and organization skills.
- Experience in a computerized environment.
- Must possess a Class “G” Driver’s License with provisions of a vehicle for use on the job.
HAMILTON IS WHERE INNOVATION GOES TO WORK - Hamilton has one of Canada's most diversified economies, the fastest growing mid-sized city for tech talent and a fantastic community approach to supporting investment big and small.
Hamilton was built around a legacy of advanced manufacturing, which continues to be a major contributor to the local economy. Additional technologically-advanced industries have grown naturally to support the manufacturing cluster, creating a community that embraces cutting-edge science and technology. Hamilton is also home to world-class universities, colleges, and research-intensive companies that have created an ideal environment for new product development and innovation. Industry and academia work together in Hamilton to lower commercialization costs and bring products to market. Startups and entrepreneurs thrive in this hard-working, high-tech city, where the cost of entry is very competitive with other tech-centric cities in the region.
Hamilton is one of Canada's largest cities - home to a diverse and strong economy, an active and inclusive community, a robust cultural and dining scene, hundreds of kilometres of hiking trails and natural beauty just minutes from the downtown core, and so much more. Join our diverse team of talented and ambitious staff who embody our values of sensational service, courageous change, steadfast integrity, collective ownership and being engaged empowered employees.
Vision - To be the best place to raise a child and age successfully.
Mission - To provide high quality cost conscious public services that contribute to a healthy, safe and prosperous community, in a sustainable manner.
CONTACT: Jeff Richmond firstname.lastname@example.org (416) 238-6400
TO APPLY: Please go to: https://www.nafor.com/hamilton.html or use the links below.
Hamilton is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Jeff Richmond at email@example.com as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
Click here to apply online