endevis, a leading provider of recruitment solutions across North America, is committed to your success. We work with the best organizations in the world and have relationships you will not be able to connect to through your own networking. Allow our tenured Search Consultants to partner with you in representing your professional career goals in today’s highly competitive market. Apply today!
Join one of the world's leading medical device and healthcare solutions provider. We are a $20B global leader committed to innovation and total population management. This role is one of extreme visibility and will control/own the function.
Senior Counsel, Benefits & ERISA Law
In this role, you have the opportunity to
provide all advice and counsel on issues related to ERISA, HIPAA, employee benefits, and pension investment management. Also serve as secretary to the various ERISA committees and is the HIPAA privacy officer.
1. Ensure compliance with laws affecting qualified and non-qualified retirement and welfare benefit plans, including drafting/reviewing plan amendments, summary plan descriptions, agreements and employee communications; plan design and policy issues; providing guidance on administrative questions, COBRA requirements, and defending regulatory audits; and assisting with new vendor implementations.
2. Provide day to day advice and counsel to human resources management to assure compliance with applicable law, i.e. ERISA, Internal Revenue Code, the Affordable Care Act, HIPAA, state leave laws, etc.
3. Provide legal advice to fiduciaries involving investment management, ERISA's fiduciary responsibility and prohibited transaction rules; and provide legal counsel to the committees responsible for plan assets and plan administration.
4. Provide guidance on design, funding and administration of executive compensation and long-term incentive arrangements, including securities law and tax issues.
5. Provide guidance on mergers, acquisitions and divestitures on both policy, design and implementation aspects of retirement and welfare plans and executive compensation arrangements.
6. Defend and/or manage benefits litigation and/or claims and provide training on benefits and related issues.
7. Negotiate agreements with third party providers. Ensure that company contracting requirements are met, including privacy and security requirements.
Customer base is the Human Resources Department, in particular, the Senior Director of Rewards; and the various ERISA committees. The incumbent must also work with outside vendors such as plan administrators, actuaries, benefits consultants, and outside counsel
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- J.D. Degree, admission to a state bar and extensive corporate legal and/or law firm experience (minimum of eight years).
- Analytical, problem solving, interpersonal, legal drafting, negotiation and legal reasoning skills, and knowledge of ERISA, HIPPA, Affordable Care Act, Internal Revenue Code and Department of Labor regulations required. Extensive experience in counseling senior management on legal ramifications of major policy and planning issues.
- Ability to work efficiently with others and coordinate a variety of internal and external activities having legal significance to the Company.
- Ability to manage issues and workload independently without or with very minimal supervision. Supervision is generally limited to reporting on current and new projects and their status, rather than review of legal work product.
endevis, LLC. and all companies represented are Equal Opportunity Employers and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.