Position: Sales Manager (Wealth Mgmt.)
Duration: 12 months with potential extension
Location: Currently remote, with plan to be hybrid model in Toronto office. TBD on exact return date.
Inside Sales Leader – Wealth Management
As the Inside Sales Manager, you will report into the Head of Business Development, and lead a team of twelve Inside Wholesaling professionals. We are looking for someone who can lead a high-performing team by establishing a cohesive vision, setting clear job expectations and driving business outcomes from a group of Internal Wholesalers with a high level of engagement. In close collaboration with the Regional Vice President along with our strategic partners (including portfolio managers, product, marketing, tax and estate planning), you will seek to drive sales into our mutual fund, ETF, SMA and segregated fund platforms.
The role of the Internal Wholesaler team at internal focuses on prospecting for new clients (advisors), rekindling relationships with advisors who have stopped supporting internal, building relationships with clients who have just begun to do business with us, and partnering with External Wholesalers to cover the top clients in the region. This team also helps to plan and invite clients and prospective clients to Internal events. The Wealth Management department plays an integral role in the future growth of Internal sales due to their primary responsibility of continuously growing the network of advisors who recommend and sell our products.
Key Accountabilities include:
- Provide leadership and provide input into the development of the business strategy for the Inside Wholesale team, which includes training, development, performance management and succession planning.
- Coach, mentor, and leads the team to ensure results across the Inside Sales group. This includes critical day-to-day mentoring and coaching on efforts to drive overall team results, supported by clear critical metrics and performance measurements.
- Establish internal partnerships by acting first as a key partner to the Senior Sales Management Team and to the VP/National Sales Manager and as a leader of the Sales Support Team.
- Actively represent the Inside Sales Team in keeping with the National Sales Team’s mandate within the organization in order to facilitate a results-based culture.
- Establish other partnerships internally with Client Services, Training and Development, Human Resources, Product, Marketing and e-Business, Portfolio Management, Information Technology and Telephony Team, Institutional Sales and Business Analysts.
- Implement initiatives in partnership with the Senior Sales Management Team
- Contribute to crafting the overall structure of the Internal Wholesaler team (both for the present needs of internal and its future needs)
- Drive the vision of Inside Sales as aligned with National Sales through the creation of transparent performance expectations of Inside Wholesalers (call quality expectations, activity expectations, client coverage expectations, wholesaler partnership expectations, etc.), high level management and integration of Inside Sales team to effectively support initiatives nationally and regionally.
- Conduct direct management meetings and overall Inside Sales (aka "all hands") team meetings, drive sales campaigns, craft training and development initiatives and encourage greater involvement and representation on behalf of the organization with key distributors, vendors and internal groups.
- Represent Inside Sales at the highest level through external and inter-departmental relationships.
- Act as a key member of the Sales Management Team and VP/National Sales Manager in setting strategic direction and tactical support
- Help to set the annual team budget and ensure the team has the tools and training required to carry out their best work while keeping that budget in mind
Strategic Development and Special Projects:
- Be an active member of the Senior Sales Management team in order to discuss overall strategy and effectiveness of sales campaigns, set Individual Performance Plan expectations, bonus expectations, territory coverage and client rotation, training initiatives/programs, budget management, and sales conferences.
- Participate in various projects to improve the Sales Team’s results ranging from systems requirements, assignments by RVP/Senior Sales Management, sales research initiatives and executive committees including product development/enhancements, business continuity etc.
Bonus and Performance Discussions:
- Set bonus and compensation plan requirement objectives for the group as a whole with input from other Managers as required.
- Conduct bonus and performance discussions in partnership with Management Team and lead any required high-level discussions with Internal Wholesalers.
- Set expectations for bonus and commissions, including the determination of activity, client coverage/territory rotation, sales expectations and delivery of reporting requirements for Managers to effectively conduct discussions.
- Conduct appraisal discussions, individual development planning meetings/discussions, as well as quarterly and monthly one-on-one meetings supported by direct Management reports.
Recruitment, Development and Retention of Talent:
- Direct, build and participate in sales training initiatives, National Sales Conferences/Retreats, Regional Sales Conferences and Dealer and Trade Conferences.
- Spearhead formal and informal Team Sales Workshops/Training and Presentation Skills Training.
- Maintain a high degree of continued focus on team development in partnership with the Senior Management team, with the promotion of internal talent to Internal opportunities being a key goal.
- Create opportunities for Inside Wholesalers to showcase their talent as presenters, sales professionals and team leadership abilities with the goal of helping them prepare future team development and advancement within the organization.
- Be involved in ongoing recruitment activities in collaboration with VP/National Sales Manager and Talent Acquisition.
- University/College degree in related field and/or equivalent designation (CFP, CIM, CFA, etc.)
- You have sales management experience from within the Canadian investment industry, combined with previous experience (approximately 5 years' worth) as an individual sales rep.
- Demonstrated relationship and leadership skills as well as a consistent track record of sales and operational effectiveness.
- In depth knowledge of retail investment industry
- You have excellent relationship management capabilities, combined with strong leadership, social and management skills, with ability to negotiate and influence effectively throughout the organization.
- You are a strategic thinker, with a strong affinity for change management and implementation.
- You have excellent business insight, ability to communicate, you are a concise decision maker and are deeply effective in your interaction with others.
- Tenaciously committed to the ongoing improvement, development and success of the Inside Sales team that you lead, and the overall success of the sales organization - so that means we need expert understanding of not only Inside Sales, but also leadership and the art of sales, with significant experience in the investment business.
- You have experience in sales program development, compensation plan modeling, budget management, policy and reporting expertise, systems management, and recruitment initiatives.
- You have spent time building and executing Individual Development Plans, setting goals for a team, and measuring performance using metrics. When the occasion calls for it, you are comfortable planning for promotion transition sharing your disciplinary expertise and presentation and promotional abilities with your direct reports.