To serve as the staff specialist in safety by carrying out procedures with the line organization that effectively control accident and health exposures in the company and minimize MSHA citations. Responsible for providing guidance, awareness, and solutions to ensure safe and reliable operations while acting as a change leader, educator, advocate, consultant, and mentor for their location’s safety culture. Strong organizational and communication skills as well as the ability to multitask are a must.
- Supports internal customers by serving as subject matter expert in assigned areas by interpreting regulations, providing information to address a customer need, and providing guidance in the development of programs, and policy.
- Effectively motivate people to enlist needed cooperation in implementing effective safety programs; ability to manage multiple priorities and work with personnel at all organizational levels.
- Administer, direct, and manage compliance with the company safety program and local incident prevention efforts to ensure company safety goals are met.
- Implement safety procedures and programs necessary to improve the safety program’s effectiveness.
- Delivers new hire employee safety orientations and safety training, monthly safety meetings, and annual safety updates to employees, supervisors, and plant management to support developed programs.
- Monitors adherence to safety program policies and procedures in the plant and reports discrepancies to plant management.
- Confers with production managers to assist in specific clarification of details associated with safety process.
- Coordinates safety information to inform management and production managers of new issues.
- Work with senior management to establish goals, metrics, and priorities for safety across the organization and manage the safety metrics.
- Leads continuous improvement and supports the implementation and maintenance of the safety guidelines as employed in the division.
- Works with management and production management to minimize lost time accidents and reportable accidents.
- Participates in and coordinates Safety Committees.
- Attends industry-specific meetings to discuss and update management on issues, concerns, trends, and enforcement actions arising in various geographic areas.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university preferred and at least 5 years related experience managing the safety program for an organization or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 3 years MSHA experience strongly desired.
- Managing safety in a heavy industrial environment as well as some construction safety experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.