Our client takes pride in their heritage and have emerged to market with new purpose. They are a modern global food company, still making the best beef and lamb combinations in the market and also, so much more. Today, our client makes it easy to offer new and familiar fare, by providing BOLD, on-trend, specialty proteins, bringing excitement to authentic world cuisine.
With the recent merger of a well-known brand in the food manufacturing space and their own industry-leading brand, the main goal for our client is to rejuvenate the restaurant and retail space. Combining innovative processes, products and an inspired team atmosphere, they are creating a collaborative work environment in which their growth and success in the food manufacturing space will be rooted in. Our partner continues to find the best talent to assist in guiding their exciting growth.
The Safety Manager is responsible for implementing and executing safety programs that effectively control accident, health, and property loss exposures. Oversees all activities required by worker compensation laws, OSHA, and corporate policy for the management and mitigation of claims and financial losses to the Company, and for Safety Training and Education for the company’s operation. Develops and fosters a Company-wide safety culture through safety training, risk assessments, and behavior modification programs.
The Safety Manager reports to the HR Director and this role will float between three facilities in the Western Suburbs of Chicago, IL.
• Develop, coordinate and implement quality, cost effective programs in the area of Risk Management and Health & Safety Management
• Directs, monitors, and leads accident investigations, safety inspections and audits; assists HR and Safety Committee in investigations to identify significant hazards and loss trends and identify and recommend preventative measures and corrective actions
• Develops safety training schedule and creates awareness and incentive programs to support safety initiatives
• Develops and maintains Safety Programs including Hazard Communications, Lock Out/Tag Out, Ergonomics, Emergency Response Team, Fire Prevention, Forklift Safety, Confined Space, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Emergency Preparedness & Facility Evacuation, etc.
• Oversees employee Return-to-Work (RTW) Program
• Directs, submits, and monitors records, summaries and reporting as required by OSHA and Corporate
• Responsible for the analysis, preparation and maintenance of mandatory/regulatory related safety and environmental reports/records
• Administers worker compensation program; works with Human Resources regarding claims administration, case closures and settlements, RTW Program and other insurance claim issues
• Implements corporate and local safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state and federal rules and regulations
• Demonstrate a high visibility and positive attitude to establish an effective and responsible safety culture
• Act as a resource to plant management teams regarding all security and safety issues
• Develop, update and implement security/loss control policies as they relate to employee, visitor, trucker, and contractor activities while on plant properties
• Present safety orientations for new employees; administer safety shoe program; handle plant hearing conservation program and Industrial Hygiene (IH) Program; oversee hazard communication program (MSDS inventory) and equipment maintenance
• Establish Safety and Steering Committee, maintains, chairs, and ensures the effectiveness and broad representation of the committee
• Maintains Safety Manual, machine-specific information, training documentation
• Performs other special projects and duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in safety, engineering, mechanical engineering or related field and/or at least 5 years professional safety experience in a manufacturing/distribution environment.
• Experience in presentation of technical training.
• Bi-lingual Spanish/English a definite plus.
• Excellent communication, comprehension and analytical skills, verbal and written.
• Interpersonal/human relations skills; ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
• Team player with demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to influence change.
• Well-developed computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word, Outlook).
• Ability to create, edit and support Computer Based Training programs.
• Effective time management, planning and organizational skills, ability to handle multiple priorities in fast-paced organization.
The compensation package for this position is commensurate with experience and includes an attractive base salary and a competitive benefits package.