You will serve as the second in command and potential successor to the Group SVP Engineering and Supply Chain, leading network strategy, and engineering for a supply chain that's tripled in size in the past 8 years for this $17B+ off-price powerhouse Retailer.
The SVP Engineering and Supply Chain Network Strategy will serve as the second in command and potential successor to the Group SVP Engineering and Supply Chain. This role will assist the Group SVP in overseeing Supply Chain network strategy, network implementation, supply chain facility maintenance, engineering, and lean process improvement/training. The role is responsible for Supply Chain strategy, optimization, capacity planning, and development. Accountable for all aspects of future Supply Chain expansion, facility needs, engineered labor standards, and cross-functional coordination and problem solving between Supply Chain and other key stakeholders in Merchandising, Real Estate, Operations, and IT. Manage an overall engineering and maintenance capital budget of $850M and a total headcount of 350.
- Develop and lead the Supply Chain ongoing network strategy, determining how the supply chain should grow and adapt to support organizational needs, optimization, large-scale capital/capacity planning, and overall strategic plans.
- Determine the timing, geographical locations, and optimal structure for all new distribution centers and cross-docks.
- Identify the necessity of additional 3PL partnerships to ramp up capacity quickly.
- Implement the network strategy and execute on large capital construction projects, including new DC builds, retrofits, material handling procurement, and upgraded process practices, coordinating activities across many cross-functional departments. Plan and forecast external business partner/vendor support and internal staffing to prepare/plan ahead of facility needs.
- Oversee all maintenance via in-house staff within existing and new facilities with a technical focus as needed. Partner with external vendors as necessary.
- Manage the Engineering division through process improvements and engineered labor standards focusing on lean principles, time studies, continuous improvement, and incentive bonus plans to improve productivity.
- Deliver distribution center operational training to hourly associates and management that include new hires and existing employees.
- Participate in special projects and relevant corporate initiatives, representing the Supply Chain and partnering cross-functionally with IT, Property Development, Merchandising, etc.
- Supervise and develop a large team of direct and indirect reports and train/mentor to internally develop talent needed to achieve growth targets. Develop internal succession plans and plan future talent needs.
- Establish KPIs and performance measurements for internal staff and external vendors, and business partners. Identify key levers to track and achieve results, including project execution, knowledge/understanding of the businesses, and organizational agility to react to changing needs and challenges.
- Be a champion of industry best practices and drive innovation, cost control, and continuous improvement across all areas. Fully grasp and understand the unique off-price business model with limited automation and required engineered standards and manual processes to reduce waste and variances.
- Be an active supporter and leader of the company culture, which stresses teamwork, cross-functional partnership, support of internal customers such as Operations and Stores, and project an overall humble, participative leadership approach.
- Company travel as needed; anticipate 25% travel with more travel in the beginning as part of onboarding and meeting key people, and forming partnerships. Attend appropriate industry conferences to invest in continuing education about trends and market challenges.
- Plans, Aligns & Prioritizes
- Ensures Accountability & Execution
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- BS/BA in Industrial Engineering, Supply Chain Management, Logistics, or other relevant areas; MBA/MS preferred.
- Minimum 10+ years broad-scope experience, leading the overall Supply Chain network strategy for a sizeable retail distribution network.
- Industrial Engineering experience is preferred, but not required. The role will be focused on continuous improvement, lean methodologies, and strategic planning.
- Leadership experience managing larger-scale company Supply Chain network strategy and Industrial Engineering teams.
- A track record of driving increased efficiencies and cost-saving solutions/controls that address complex business challenges, including experience leading companies to a minimum of top quartile engineered standards performance.
- Experience managing and executing large projects from start to finish with a consistent record of delivering projects on time and within established budgets.
- Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a computer.
- Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, working with paper/files, etc.
- Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
- Must be available to travel on short notice and accommodate extended stays where needed
- Direct reports (3): VP Engineering, Senior Director Network Implementation & Engineering, and Director Network Strategy.
- Total team: 350 within (4) functional areas of Network Strategy, Network Implementation, Engineering, and Facilities/Maintenance.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
An equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities, and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of the Company’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented, and diverse workforce. We are committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, age, national origin, ancestry, physical, mental or developmental disability, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), veteran status, military status, marital or registered domestic partnership status, medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by federal, state or local laws.