International Steel Manufacturer is looking for a Quality Engineer in their Quality and Metallurgical Engineering Department. Responsible for product quality assessment and improvement. Works with Process Engineers, Operations management and employees to improve the product quality through standard practices, process control and understanding customer requirements. Works with Technical Service Engineers to evaluate, communicate and translate customer requirements to mill practices. Provides technical assistance and quality support to the Quality and Operations management group.
Job Duties: Position requires solid material science engineering skills and abilities to provide technical advice and direction to the organization.
- Follows all Safety policies and SJP’s and ensures safety issues are addressed timely and per established procedures.
- Must be trustworthy in all areas of profession and personal performance.
- Ensures that technical standards and work instructions to ensure product quality and NPS requirements are implemented and followed.
- Ability to continuously improve the production processes by analyzing data and proposing solutions.
- Interface with the GM Quality as well as the Technical Service Group to translate customer quality requirements to the mill, gather data and analyze any trials
- Interface with the GM Quality and Applications Engineer to translate customer quality requirements to mill practices, routings and setups for satisfactory production.
- Maintain Parsytec classifiers and support Metallurgical Laboratory functions as needed.
- Interface with the Operating Group, including Management, Process Engineers and hourly employees to evaluate mill control, measurement and operating practices for satisfactory production.
- Evaluate product quality of material at all stages, incoming product, internal production and disposition as prime, rework or reclass.
- Observe and measure product quality at outside processing units and customers as necessary to evaluate product quality and disposition product
- Collect and analyze data for product (and process) quality improvement, communicate necessary changes to process, practices or measurement.
- Perform other related work, as required.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Minimum requirement is a B.S. degree or equivalent in metallurgical engineering or related materials science curriculum. Minimum experience level is 5+ years in a steel manufacturing or steel processing environment.
- Good, solid foundation of technical knowledge, skills and abilities. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in written form. Ability to manipulate and analyze data, and make critical decisions.