PURPOSE: The Project Engineer is responsible for providing project management of engineering capital and expense projects as assigned. Additionally, the Mechanical Engineer works closely with department leaders to identify issues and opportunities and responds quickly to day-to-day operational issues as requested. Will also work closely with Maintenance Technicians for troubleshooting, maintenance and project work.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide project management including the development, planning and execution of capital and expense projects as assigned.
- Develop knowledge and mechanical expertise on tissue manufacturing/converting equipment and plant utility and support equipment including waste handling, compressed air, and lubrication.
- Carry out job responsibilities in a safe manner. Review and ensure equipment/processes meet safety codes, policies and guidelines.
- Support equipment installation/modification and related start-up activities, provide mechanical engineering leadership to resolve problems, troubleshoot, and optimize the installation/modification process to meet project objectives and schedules.
- Support the definition, implementation, optimization and maintenance of a documentation system for mechanical drawings and other manufacturing systems.
- Develop and conduct training programs with operation, maintenance and engineering personnel to increase process knowledge, troubleshooting capability, and understanding of mechanical and manufacturing control systems.
- Identify and solve bottle-necks within the process as related to manufacturing.
- Develop technology approaches that support improved plant efficiency, process improvement, and manufacturing flexibility.
- Review equipment and processes to identify required spare parts and coordinate ordering with maintenance/stores to minimize downtime.
- Perform failure analysis of mechanical equipment and machines to implement reliability improvement actions items.
- Effectively track and manage project costs within established budgets.
- Develop and effectively communicate project status reports on an as required basis.
- Every employee must implement Kruger environmental policy in their daily tasks. In particular, employees are responsible to abide by legal and corporate environmental requirements, and must adhere to all environmental procedures. Every employee is responsible to report all environmental incidents and any potential environmental hazards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- 3-5+ years of work experience providing mechanical engineering project management in technical and industrial paper manufacturing assignments is preferred, with a strong preference for tissue manufacturing experience.
- Experience in troubleshooting mechanical drive systems, general machine design, engineering calculations, converting packaging equipment and manufacturing support equipment
- Skilled with computer software including AutoCad, MS Excel, MS Word, SAP, MS Powerpoint
- Ability to work independently and to execute programs in a cross functional environment
- Ability to build relationships with vendors and suppliers on a national basis as well as in local areas
- Working knowledge of preventative maintenance and reliability improvement programs.
- Excellent communication skills including both verbal and written.
- Ability to effectively lead work teams as well as work as a team member
- Core Competencies should include: safety work habits, quality orientation, creative & innovative thinking, problem solving, research & analysis, operating equipment, ethics & integrity, coaching & mentoring, team work, time management, development & continual learning, accountability & dependability, decision making & judgement, providing consultation, planning & organizing, and communication