The Company Corporate Group, our internal consulting team for Cement Operations, is looking for a new team member. Our Project Engineers have the best of both worlds working internally with our Cement Operations across North America and with outside consultants, equipment suppliers, technology providers and contractors. This position reports to our Vice President - Engineering and is located in our Corporate office.
With aggressive targets for reducing carbon emissions in our manufacturing operations and firm corporate commitment to achieve those targets, you will be part of the team we are building to evaluate, select and employ carbon capture (CC) technology and other new technologies, e.g., reclaimed fly ash, in our business.
- Special focus as Project Lead for the plant FEED study. The FEED has recently been approved for DOE funding and starts in November 2022.
- Lead the coordination, preparation, and assembly of CC governmental or private funding applications for submittal by the required due dates. Interface with internal operations, technical, environmental and government affairs staff on submittal efforts as well as specialized consultants retained to support our applications.
- Prepare technical pre-feasibility and feasibility (FEED) studies including cost estimates for the application of CC at our prioritized manufacturing plants. Collaborate with internal technical specialists and operations personnel, as well as outside consultants, equipment suppliers, technology providers and contractors as needed to complete the studies.
- Develop conceptual layouts to incorporate CC equipment and systems into our existing manufacturing facilities. Use your expertise in good plant design practices to produce efficient layouts that consider ease of future operations and maintenance, as well as carefully considering impacts on overall capital and operating costs.
- Prepare tender documents including scopes of work, specifications, flow sheets and conceptual layouts to describe services and equipment to be procured from outside consultants, equipment suppliers, technology providers and contractors. Coordinate with our internal Purchasing Department for their preparation of the commercial tender documents to complement the technical documents you will prepare.
- Liaise with internal carbon capture project team members on ongoing studies and projects to provide plant layout and equipment expertise, and to mutually share lessons learned that can be applied to future studies and projects.
- Lead technical reviews of design documents
- Prepare technical reports and analyses that evaluate the technoeconomic feasibility of various CC technologies.
- Coordinate with and assist project management teams in developing and executing CC and related projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required, preferably in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering. Other engineering degrees will be considered with substantial, relevant work experience.
- Experience in project engineering/project execution that includes conceptual, FEED studies and detailed plant layout design; coordination with equipment suppliers, engineering consultants, contractors and internal operations groups; knowledge and specification of heavy industrial equipment; development of scopes of work; and review and disposition of consultant, equipment supplier and materials supplier drawings.
- Experience in cement, industrial gas, oil and gas, chemical, utility or other closely-related field; this experience is part of the ten (10) years of experience requirement referenced above.
- Basic understanding of CC technologies, applications and equipment, particularly in post-combustion carbon capture using proven and scalable methods;
- Good knowledge and understanding of industrial piping project development and execution;
- Design experience with interfaces between industrial plant departments and routing of large flue gas ductwork and associated equipment for gas cleaning. Knowledge of compression, transport and storage of industrial gases.
- Basic understanding of project management practices and tools including schedules and cost reporting and controls.
- Ability to work and travel independently, with travel up to approximately 30%.
- Solid computer skills.
- Demonstrated skills to understand, influence, empathize and communicate with people on project teams to achieve the goals of the project.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to make presentations to executive management.