Our client is a trusted multi-channel retailer specializing in high quality, unique children’s products that promote imagination, learning and active play.
Our client is currently searching for a Product Manager to support their Children's Brands. Their Product Managers span the globe looking for imaginative items for children. If you are a kid at heart and have previous experience with product management and development (particularly with children's products), preferably in a retail or catalog environment, this could be a great opportunity for you!
Position Summary: We are looking for a creative, “out of the box” thinker that has a passion for children’s products, particularly products that focus on active and imaginative play. The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years of experience with product management and development with the ability to develop or identify and source innovative and unique products. With responsibility for the business management of a category/categories including ownership of gross margin, sales, profitability, vendor management, and sourcing, the Product Manager will maximize the development of the brand, sales, and profits for the department. They’ll also manage information across functions, working closely with Creative, Product Safety/Quality Control, Inventory Control, and Sourcing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the full life cycle of product management from conception and sourcing to supporting customer service and online managing online reviews.
- Source and select products within designated categories that fit Brand merchandising strategy; support corporate business plan.
- Evaluate trends within categories/sub-categories and recommend seasonal strategies.
- Keep abreast of current industry and design trends; attend trade shows.
- Apply professional knowledge of merchandising principles to meet sales, gross margin, and contribution objectives.
- Develop exclusive proprietary products with IP protection potential.
- Sample, test and evaluate prospective new products to ensure compliance with all applicable standards.
- Assist in maintaining product database.
- Analyze product performance.
- Prepare data and material for product presentation to selection committee.
- Responsible for the management and development of support staff.
- Communicate and develop partnerships with all vendors.
- Negotiate and confirm pricing, packaging, delivery, terms and advertising with catalog vendors.
- Monitor and evaluate vendor performance and determine key strategic partnerships.
- Assist with catalog design, layout, photography, and copywriting.
- Participate in weekly merchandise meetings with all departments.
- Interface with PSQC on routine basis to improve quality and testing conformity. Check all initial shipments of new product with QA to established baseline of acceptance.
- Work with purchasing and QA to guarantee on time ship dates and in stock goals.
- Project sales by item. Assist Inventory Control with recommendations for initial buys and reorder quantities and reducing overstocks.
- Monitor back order report and assist Inventory Control in resolving any related issues.
- Collaborate with creative and marketing teams to ensure products within categories of responsibilities are marketed to planned objectives.
- Manage product collateral and creative work requests for all exclusive product and support the needs of creative services team.
- Provide supporting materials for catalog and web design, layout, photography, and copywriting, proofing same at various stages of production.
- Participate in the development of the annual trade show schedule and work within budget.
- A minimum of 5 years related experience in merchandising, purchasing, catalog pagination, web merchandising, product development and international sourcing and manufacturing for a multichannel retailer preferably within Toy Industry.
- Bachelor's Degree (four-year college or university)
- Ability to manage a high volume of work, multiple priorities and deadlines in a dynamic work environment
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Negotiating - Proven record of win-win negotiations.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Team Player - Ability to work within a team of performers each skilled in her/her own specialty.
- Computer Skills - Required: Excel, Word, Publisher, Outlook; Preferred: Access; Understanding of POS systems
- Valid/current U.S. Passport; ability and willingness to travel as required.
- Understanding of market conditions as it relates to merchandising.
- Previous experience with new product design and development preferred.