Located in one of the country's most historic cities, known for small-town charm with big-city amenities, our client offers one of the world's largest selections of home and garden décor with an unmatched assortment of unique items. They've created a diverse, inclusive, and empowering corporate culture that fosters a family spirit. They believe in giving back to their local communities and have also been recognized for supporting local small businesses throughout the pandemic.
We are looking for a creative, "out of the box" thinker who has a passion for home & garden products. You will own the full product line and life cycle from initial idea through development, launch, ongoing operations, and product expansion, driving product strategy, product development priorities, and product release plans.
You will have full business ownership of select brand categories across channels (B2B, B2C) with responsibility for vendor management, development, and sourcing on selected product lines. Monitoring and enhancing gross margin, sales, and profitability, you will effectively and efficiently manage suppliers, contracts, and negotiations, meeting suppliers both domestically and internationally. You will also partner closely with all functional areas, working most closely with the Creative, PSQC/Quality, Inventory Control, and Marketing departments while also managing and developing support staff.
- Source and select products that fit brand merchandising strategy and corporate business plan.
- Keep abreast of current industry and design trends; develop new and exclusive products, including private label.
- Apply merchandising principles to meet sales, gross margin, and contribution objectives.
- Sample, test and evaluate prospective new products to ensure compliance with all applicable standards.
- Routinely interface with PSQC to improve quality and testing conformity. Check all initial shipments of new products with QA to established baseline of acceptance.
- Analyze product performance.
- Project sales by item; assist Inventory Control with recommendations for initial buys and reorder quantities and reducing overstocks, reviewing, and partnering on back-ordered merchandise.
- Participate in weekly merchandise meetings with all departments.
- Communicate and develop partnerships with all vendors; monitor and evaluate vendor performance and determine key strategic partnerships.
- Negotiate and confirm pricing, packaging, delivery, terms, and advertising with catalog vendors.
- Prepare data and material for product presentation to the selection committee.
- Assist with catalog design, layout, photography, and copywriting.
- Participate in the development of the annual trade show schedule and work within the budget.
- Attend trade shows according to product line responsibility.
- Bachelor's Degree required; MBA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in product merchandising and sourcing. Previous experience in new product design and development is strongly preferred. Demonstrated success in a specialized product line.
- A passion for the product categories, including outdoor/garden home décor, personal accessories, and gifts.
- Proven experience sourcing, pricing, packaging, and merchandising gifts and accessories that make a statement in the marketplace.
- Strong proficiency in MS Office – (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent priorities and consistently meet deadlines.
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Ability to travel internationally 4-6 weeks/year.