The Process / Development Engineer
reports to the Engineering Manager, working as a hands-on engineer to qualify new injection mold tooling, work with mold shops to build new tools to company standards, continuously improve our existing processes, products and systems in a safe and efficient manner to meet and exceed our goals for safety, quality, and productivity. This position will work with the quality department in certifying new and existing processes and assist in training and support of the plant floor as needed.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work safely in a manufacturing environment including all plant safety procedures.
- Assist in part design reviews with an eye for good manufacturing process DFMEA.
- Specify, purchase, track and control new mold purchases.
- Inspect, sample, modify any new tooling to create a stable process ready to be turned over to manufacturing.
- Lead a team in the process of turning over new projects to manufacturing.
- Propose and implement continuous improvement projects on the production floor with solid IRRs.
- As needed assist the production floor in daily operations.
- Communicate with internal and external customers in a professional manner.
- Responsible for implementing visual controls and standard work in department.
- Work with the plant and management to improve safety initiatives.
- Responsible for intermediate scale CapEx Installs, including; capital package preparation, equipment procurement through installation/startup within the guidelines of all Sonoco and OSHA safety standards.
- Exceptional communication skills and project organization will be necessary for success.
- Year Engineering Degree preferred, but will consider equivalent experience in leu of a degree.
- 4+ years of hands on plastic process engineering. RJG training a plus.
- 6+ years hands on process engineering in a plastics plant is preferred.
- Must be willing to work the hours necessary to complete objectives which includes extended travel away from home, domestic and international travel.
- Mechanical knowledge and aptitude for plastic processing equipment, including but not limited injection molding machines, secondary equipment, automation, conveyance, and packaging.
- Knowledge of analysis tools: Six Sigma, Control Charting, Root Cause Analysis, Fishbone Analysis, Pareto Analysis, SPC.
- Able to read and understand technical drawings 2D and 3D.
- Ability to identify and solve practical manufacturing process problems on the shop floor with both state of the art and aged manufacturing equipment.
- Ability and desire to work hands on in a 24-hour 5 day a week plastics manufacturing plant.