PURPOSE: The Process Engineer is a hybrid engineering position consisting of approximately 70% process engineering and 30% environmental compliance. The position reports to the process engineering manager and will work alongside their environmental counterparts. The Process Engineer is responsible for:
- Optimizing manufacturing processes and systems by using their skill set to identify inefficiencies and make recommendations to improve safety, quality, cost, and productivity.
- Providing support to ensure the facility operates in compliance with environmental requirements;
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with operations team to continually improve production rates, efficiencies, yields, and costs.
- Lead cross-functional teams for specific short-term improvement efforts (i.e. 90-day teams).
- Lead and coordinate plant process trials involving new procedures, process conditions, equipment, specifications, and/or chemicals, etc.
- Create and manage process documentation.
- Champion the use of area IT-based systems (i.e. PI, Proficy, Cognex, etc.).
- Monitor and report on daily environmental, operating and quality parameters.
- Support reoccurring air, wastewater, SPCC, SWPPP, solid waste, and environmental training requirements and activities.
- Actively support the facility’s Quality and Environmental Manager Systems to support continued ISO 14001 and 9001 certifications.
- Assist with compliance audits (e.g., DHEC), self-audits of operating areas, ISO14001/9002 internal and external audits, and incident investigations.
- Assist as technical liaison between mill and outside vendors/consultants
- B.S. in paper science engineering, chemical engineering, environmental engineering
- Specific experience in the Pulp & Paper industry is highly preferred
- Good analytical and project management skills.
- Good communication skills, including verbal, written & presentation.
- Good relationship and leadership skills, including ability to convey technical information to non-technical users clearly and concisely.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to think “outside the box”.
- Proficient use of standard engineering software and analysis tools.
- Highly organized, good attention to detail and uses efficient work methods.
- Ability to travel to US locations (travel <10%)
Pulp & Paper