PURPOSE: The Process Engineer will provide high-quality support and technical leadership solving a variety of short and longer term problems resulting in improved product quality, productivity and reduced costs at this integrated paper mill on the East Coast. The successful candidate will work directly with mill operations (paper, pulp, utilities, process control, product performance) in this role and as a result can and will be promoted throughout operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Fully support the mill safety programs and integrate safety leadership into daily activities
- Improve and optimize processes to improve quality while implementing cost and variability reduction initiatives; provide assistance to production areas in evaluating changes to operations; aid operating personnel in troubleshooting.
- Evaluate product improvement, cost optimization and product development projects by conducting trials including development of trial plans and authoring trial reports
- Stay abreast of new technologies and their potential implications.
- Reduce environmental impact
- Provide technical support for key departments
- Provide problem solving and analytical skills and leadership; support mill Lean Six Sigma activities
- Assist with employee training.
- Assist with capital and business planning.
- Assist with machine shut downs and start up
- Bachelor’s degree in pulp & paper science, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering or a related field or 5+ years of related paper, operational, or manufacturing/industrial experience
- Experience in process engineering in an industrial setting preferred but not required or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Competency with standard Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), SAP and Minitab
- Strong analytical problem solving skills; solid knowledge of statistical analysis
- Strong leadership aptitude
- Self-starter able to work effectively with minimal direct supervision; be action oriented
- Must be legally authorized to work permanently in the United States for other than practical training (Student work VISA does not qualify).