The incumbent will provide technical support to manufacturing by troubleshooting and solving day-to-day processing problems in a manufacturing environment. Determines the operational requirements for optimum machinery utilization and specify machine modifications to improve. Provide process debugging and troubleshooting support. Provide input for capital equipment selection and process improvement projects.
Description of Major Responsibilities
1) Champion all company safety programs. Maintain and improve Safety Culture with all employees.
2) Actively participate in CI projects and events. Will be required to become Green Belt Certified and a skills coach.
3) Implement and manage process improvement projects.
a) Develop project scope through interaction with plant personnel. Select vendor through bid process; creating all necessary documentation, sketches and instructions.
b) Supervise and direct projects through installation and debug; evaluating and modifying to achieve optimum performance. Prepare and present special reports to management as needed.
4) Interact with department heads and group leaders to solve process problems regarding issues in any of the manufacturing areas with the goal of improving safety, efficiency and reducing overall delivered cost. Identify and recommend internal and external resources required for project implementation. Provide mathematical, computer, engineering and simple drafting services for all plant personnel.
5) Investigate needs and possibility for improvements in any and all processes in the plant through observation of present conditions and discussions with all plant personnel (maintenance, production worker, managers, etc.).
6) Establish and implement processing parameters and standard operating procedures for manufacturing, training operators and technicians to understand and utilize the procedures properly.
7) Support cost reduction activities through process improvement, process modification, tooling modification, scrap reduction, equipment changes, material changes, yield improvement techniques, etc.
8) Utilize statistical methods to improve efficiency, quality and scrap reduction.
9) Responsible for startup of new products/lines/tooling as well as assist in sampling and approving new materials.
10) Perform other duties as assigned.
Employee works in office/shop environment and uses equipment such as office and shop equipment. Incumbent will visit customers and vendors and is required to travel via automobile and airplane. Requires sitting (50%) and walking (50%) over a plant that is 1 million sqft. Requires full range of body motion such as stooping, bending, squatting, kneeling, climbing stairs, lifting up to 50 lbs., carrying up to 25 lbs. and reaching at shoulder level. Incumbent must wear safety glasses, hair/beard net and have near/far acuity and color vision.
- The ability to see, read, distinguish letters and/or symbols.
- Requires strong communication (oral/written), organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Fluent with engineering drawings/blue prints and the technical language and references of the specific field of application.
- Proficient in the use of software application programs - Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Auto-CAD, and MS Project 2000, Mainsaver, BPCS and data base reporting tools.
BS degree in Engineering is required. Five years of experience in a high-speed paper manufacturing / packaging environment preferred. A background in printing processes and capabilities is a plus.