The Sr. Process Engineer performs engineering tasks to optimize mill performance and improve process capability. Monitors operations for process improvements and initiates projects designed to incorporate these improvements. Responsible for implementing new processes and projects to improve product quality, customer satisfaction, operating efficiency, productivity, cost position and environmental performance. Provides technical support as required. Performs a broad range of management assignments including operations and financial analysis, strategic planning, and business development for the Plant.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and manages all phases of process engineering projects as assigned.
- When needed, estimates the approximate costs and benefits of new equipment installations for use in capital project justifications.
- Leads, supports and participates in safety and housekeeping improvement effects.
- Provides customer focus throughout all phases of project implementation.
- Participates in process engineering, system design, pre-planning and project justification. Ensures project scope is adequately defined.
- Is responsible for material and energy balance models/simulations of pulping and bleaching processes
- Facilitates equipment start-up by ensuring: Employee training is conducted. Customers are notified as necessary. Operational and safety procedures are in place and understood. Sampling and testing procedures are in place. Adequate process/product data flows to proper repository. Implementation of PM program with new equipment. Troubleshooting as necessary.
- Evaluates capital investment opportunities for the Plant, prepare funding requests for those that give improved financial and quality performances. Participates in post-completion audit to determine if design goals were met and to improve the systematic implementation of future projects. Provides feedback to vendors and customers.
- Supports new product/process development teams.
- Participates in and support Marketing & Research initiatives as appropriate to accomplish strategic cost and quality initiatives as well as new business opportunities.
- Keeps up-to-date with technological changes and improvements and recommends mill trials of equipment and process changes to reduce costs and improve the mill’s competitive position.
- Seeks out, initiates/participates and leads as needed, continuous improvement opportunities for the plant such as quality improvement, cost reduction, improvement in operational efficiency, etc
- Takes technical responsibility for a product line.
- Ensures compliance with applicable regulations, company policies and Company Advanced Material’s Standard of Ethics and Code of Corporate Conduct.
- BS degree in engineering or related technical field. MBA or experience with financial analysis a plus.
- 5 years of process engineering and/or operations experience. Process or engineering management experience is a plus.
- Requires ability to understand and apply professional, technical and financial philosophies and procedures.
- Requires ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Requires thorough understanding of engineering and pulp & paper operations and their relationship to operation’s financial performance.
- Pulp/Bleaching experience require