The Plastics Processing Engineer is responsible for applying a working knowledge of injection molding, plastic materials, engineering theory, problem solving techniques and Lean methodologies to improve molding efficiency and equipment performance. The successful candidate will have expertise in injection molding and the ability to teach, mentor and lead others working cross functionally with production, maintenance, quality, and engineering to improve safety and product quality while optimizing costs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Model and help lead the significant improvement in core competencies associated with high and low- pressure injection molding.
- Develop and implement a standardized production start-up and process optimization protocol, train staff and apply to daily production.
- Apply statistical testing methods to determine process capabilities, establish standards and validate process capability
- Analyze process performance data and identify trends, runs, and countermeasures to reduce process variation
- Apply continuous improvement methods such as lean manufacturing, six sigma and A-3 problem solving techniques to enhance manufacturing quality, reliability and cost effectiveness
- Determine root causes of failures using statistical methods and recommend changes in designs, tolerances or processing methods to avoid re-occurrences
- Help specify and introduce new equipment, methods and processes to improve existing operations
- Design, develop, and implement control systems to improve production cycle times and product quality
- Identify and solve repetitive problems and failures associated with process parameter.
- Promote decisions driven by data instead of opinion;Present communications concepts to internal staff and sales / marketing staff; articulate solid communications rationale for concepts, define how recommendations meet goals and objectives, and review measures for tracking performance and return on investment.Assemble all materials required for quoting all finished art production aspects of project, including outside services (illustration, etc.), prepress, printing, and delivery. Assist with quotes and work to get the best value on outside costs. Manage costs to budgets.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of computer technologies and software associated with communications design and production, i.e., current system software, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Professional (CS2), Freehand, Keynote, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and related software.
- Proof and quality control at all stages of work from creative through final production and delivery: Roughs, Comprehensive Layouts, Finished Art, Printing, or Digital Delivery.
- Organization and maintenance of communications records and budgets
- Travel, as required, for planning and presentations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- ● Understanding of Scientific Injection Molding and Plastics Processing Variables.
- ● Proven track record of driving significant efficiency improvements and cost reduction efforts.
- ● Strong people skills and a proven ability to work with opposing opinions while leading a team to the best outcome.
- ● Demonstrated skills in lean processes including problem solving and daily management.
- ● Creative analytical person with a high degree of analytical skills.
- ● Passionate about continuous improvement and teamwork.
- ● Well organized initiative-taker, skilled in time management.
- ● Ability to interpret electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic schematics.
- ● Ability to lead and manage a team of Process Technicians.
- ● Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Computer aided design (CAD) is beneficial.
- ● Excellent oral and written communication skills
Experience and Education
Click here to apply online
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Plastics Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent technical education preferred.
- 5+ years of processing experience in a plastics manufacturing environment.
- Solid understanding of plastic materials, tooling, and press functions.
- Demonstrated success working in and/or leading cross functional teams.
- Experience working with programmable logic controller (PLC), control logic and human machine interface (HMI) is beneficial.