BCTG's direct CPG client is looking for a Plant Project Engineer to be on site in Maxton, NC.
Job Duties include:
- Supervises the installation of engineering projects pursuant to project requirements.
- Responsible for schedules, approvals, cost control, development of proposals and functional descriptions, inspections, testing, start up, training requirements for new installations.
- Work with a multifunctional team to ensure automated manufacturing equipment is operating robustly.
- Identify, fund and implement process improvements and capability changes.
- The ideal candidate is an inventive and competent problem solver who can work through technical challenges and employ pragmatic solutions. Principal Accountabilities: (40%) Manage capital projects that range from $10,000 to $5,000,000. Responsibilities range from having a participative role in managing an entire project through the effective management of capital funds. Coordinate and review contractor and vendor activity and interface with corporate personnel as required ensuring all standards are maintained. (30%)
- Investigates problems and requirements of assigned projects.
- Collects and evaluates data. Coordinates activities and efforts with other team members.
- Develops plans and schedules for project work. Takes initiative to develop new approaches and solutions.
- Participates in defining engineering standards. (20%)
- Works with plant maintenance, operations, quality, other plant engineers, corporate engineers, and support vendors to ensure that manufacturing equipment is operating correctly.
- Implement process improvements and changes focusing on yields and changeovers. Provides technical leadership for areas of responsibility.
- Have functional and technical responsibilities across multiple engineering disciplines. (10%)
- Written communications are clear, concise and convey the relevant information associated with assigned task.
- Capable of providing presentations and conveying difficult information to other professionals, operations and supervisory personnel.
- Utilizes available technology to convey information in a timely and effective manner.
- Communicates with outside vendors and suppliers.
- Can represent company to professional organizations.
- Identify the need, develop the project scope, schedule and budget for process and equipment upgrades and changes to automated manufacturing equipment. This will include food processing equipment and process controls such as PLCs, HMIs, Servos, and other controls related hardware.
- Inspect installations and observe operations to ensure compliance with design and equipment specifications and safety standard.
- Work with corporate engineering to implement new manufacturing processing equipment or utilities.
- Resolve complex scheduling and technical issues with multi-trade contractors, contract project managers, fabricators, design engineering firms, and company representatives.
- Oversee and approve all aspects of design and installation, scheduling, and capital funds.
- Analyze plant processes, design and implement cost-effective equipment modifications to help improve safety, reliability and throughput.
- Analyze plant processes, design and implement improvements. Work with a cross functional team to understand and document process and control requirements. In conjunction with corporate engineering, other plant engineers, maintenance, and technical vendors develop and implement engineering standards for process control.
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Minimum education required: Bachelor of Science degree (EE/ME/CHE), 5 + years of industrial experience OR MS/MBA with 2-5 years of experience.
- Experience with and understanding of electrical manufacturing processes and process control software.
- Must possess good analytical skills.
- Able to problem solve and troubleshoot hardware and processes as the need arises.
- Strong cause-effect analytical abilities to solve problems.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Must possess a sense of urgency, highly motivated.
- Ability to think on one’s feet, make decisions on the fly, and react to ever-changing situations.
- Willingness to work off-shifts to support projects and processes.
- Experience with project management processes (eg. PMI).
- Advanced computer skills in MS Project, MS Office, Procurement systems (eg.SAP).
- Working knowledge of Auto Cad.
Knowledge, skills and abilities preferred:
Familiar with industry standards UL and CE, Familiar with Vision Systems (e.g. Cognex, Keyence), Familiar with various Motion Controllers/Actuators. Project management professional (PMP)certification
- Competent in the use of electrical engineering software.
- Relevant experience with: Programming Logic Controllers (PLC) (e.g. Allen-Bradley)
- Configuring and designing HMI/OIT systems (Allen-Bradley, Wonderware)
Location: Maxton, NC
7am-4p Mon – Fri; occasional support for OT and/or weekends; 24/7 operations and issues can get escalated to the Engineer for assistance when needed.
At least 6 months assignment
• Allen Bradley PLC experience is critical
• 5-8 years experience; Food, Pharma and/or CPG experience needed
• Highly prefer someone with Controls experience and need to have Manufacturing floor experience.
• Assist the Production Maintenance team to keep operations going – it’s a high speed fast paced environment
• Help manage projects – will start working on a $35 million project – will work with large project team
• Typical project size is $10K to $5 mil
• Come in with a tactical background – jump in and learn the equipment – to be effective can take up around 2 months to get acclimated unless they come in with the tactical experience.
• Will work with the Aseptic Broth area
• Some domestic travel if needed around 5%