The Plant Controller directly manages the accounting/finance function of the Plant's Operation. This key role in the organization provides accurate, timely and meaningful information to various management personnel and helps guide continuous improvement. Furthermore, this position monitors the company's internal control structure and adherence to company policies. This individual must demonstrate the company's core values and collaborative abilities in a fast-paced environment. This position is based out of Landover and has supervisory responsibility.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises and supports Plant Accountants to develop and execute the goals of the Accounting and Finance group.
- Ensures proper accounting in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Ensures compliance with company policies and procedures while providing feedback on identified risks.
- Ensures adequate level of internal controls.
- Provides proactive / unsolicited consultation, interpretation and education of complex financial and operational matters to various departmental leaders used to drive business decisions.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on the financial and operational drivers of the business; with particular focus on manufacturing variances.
- Desire and ability to learn the operational process; going beyond the strictly financial functions to understand from an operations perspective the root cause.
- Collaborates with plant manager, plant accountants and senior management to explain results, make improvements, manage projects, identify inefficiencies, understand operations and lead the development of complex analysis.
- Promotes a continuous improvement culture through communication and coaching as well as finding opportunities for streamlining accounting activities and enhancing value-added processes.
- Integrates and trains new staff while leading the continued professional development of the existing team.
- Works closely with Plant Accountants on development and standardization of process and procedures.
- Ensures accurate standard costs and inventory valuations.
- Facilitates and manages the month-end close process for the production facility, including journal entries and preparation and review of account reconciliations in accordance with Company policy. Monitors results against budget for production facility.
- Assists in the preparation and review of Authorizations for Fixed Expenditure (AFEs).
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
- BA in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance preferred.
- Requires at least 5 years of experience working in a fast-paced, rapidly changing and dynamic manufacturing and/or corporate environment.
- Experience successfully managing a team to adhere to the month-end closing process is required. Must demonstrate a proven track record of process improvement and successful cross-functional teamwork.
- Experience with process manufacturing required.
- Experience with standard costing methodology required.
- Highly advanced in Microsoft Office Applications (Excel).
- Proficient with ERP Accounting software, SAP preferred.
- Team-oriented with excellent analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills along with a 'hands on' attitude.
- Ability to lead and motivate teams to reach a common goal.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Curious and self-motivated to learn beyond a typical accounting / finance function.
- Must be proactive and very organized
The compensation package for this position is commensurate with experience and includes an attractive base salary with a discretionary bonus incentive and a competitive benefits package.