Plant Accountant - Charlotte, NC
The Plant Accountant is responsible for all cost accounting activities, along with inventory accounting and related variance analysis at our Charlotte, NC manufacturing operation.
Major responsibilities include maintain and update the Standard Cost accounting system, review variances of actual vs standard and ensure adequate controls are in place over inventory transactions and valuation. The position partners with the local management team to provide insight into actual performance vs standard and budgets to drive efficiencies and cost optimization.
- Maintain and update the Standard Cost Accounting system to reflect current manufacturing cost, in compliance with US GAAP. This process includes updating standard material cost, labor and overhead rates, based on data driven analytics and in collaboration with finance, purchasing and operations management.
- Collaborate with operations, engineering and sales departments to define the cost of new products and update the system accordingly.
- Perform variance analysis of actual manufacturing costs vs standard and budget and identify gaps and issues that require corrective actions.
- Participate in the monthly close process, including journal entries and Balance Sheet account reconciliations, relating to inventory, receipts not invoiced and other accounting activities, in accordance with the close schedule.
- Maintain and review slow moving and obsolete inventory reserve analysis with finance and operations management.
- Assist in the annual audit process and act as site point person for external audit visits and questions.
- Communicate financial performance to the finance organization and partners with the local management team to provide insight into manufacturing performance to drive efficiencies and reduce costs.
- Ensure that internal controls over purchasing are adequate and in compliance with internal policies. In particular, provide final sign-off on non-inventory purchase orders, monitoring activity, timing and account distribution.
- Ensure that internal controls over inventory are adequate and in compliance with internal policies. Participate and/or review the planning and execution of cycle counts and physical inventories, as needed.
- Participate in the annual budget process and provide input into forecasting process where appropriate.
- Collaborate with the financial analyst and management to review product profitability and participate in action plans, as needed.
- Collaborate with the Group Cost accounting function to ensure standardized processes are in place and best practices are promoted at all of our manufacturing sites.
- Recommend process improvements through automation and other means to optimize value added activities and eliminate non value added work.
- Participate in special projects/analysis such as make or buy reviews and capital investment requests, as needed.
- Prepare required schedules and enforce necessary approval levels of company management.
- Perform other duties as assigned, position includes 10% potential travel time.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CMA preferred.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong knowledge of cost and financial accounting.
- Knowledge of ERP software systems, Sage X3 preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience at a multi-site operation preferred.