As a recognized leader in our field, The Guidance Center provides a broad range of services that have helped children, adults and families unlock potential and build better lives for more than 60 years. With 25 programs we offer treatment, prevention, growth and education services to more than 23,000 people annually. Together we: Nurture development. Foster resilience. Cultivate well-being.
We have an exciting opportunity for a part time contractual Peer Support Specialist to join our Adult Behavioral Health (ABH) team of talented professionals.
To qualify for this position, you will need the following:
- Candidates for this position must have experience as recipients of community mental health services, and be willing to use their own recovery experience as a vehicle to helping others. More specifically, candidates must be willing to share their personal stories of recovery with individual consumers, groups of consumers, and as part of organized public speaking engagements.
- Peers must be willing to participate in training and supervision to enhance their effectiveness with consumers, and to improve their understanding of the fundamental principles of recovery, peer support and self-determination.
- Candidates must also possess and retain a Chauffeurs license and meet the eligibility driving requirements as defined by current insurance company.
- Candidates must demonstrate a nonjudgmental approach that reflects cultural competency, and sensitivity to the unique needs and diverse experiences of people with mental illness and their families.
- Must demonstrate the ability to establish working relationships with consumers, provide direct assistance with access to community resources, facilitate educational workshops, support groups and recovery-oriented activities for consumers and their families.
- Candidates must be comfortable interacting with the public under a broad range of circumstances, and have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Candidates must be able to organize their work and complete tasks within established timeframes.
- Candidates must have a valid Michigan driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Candidates for this position must be willing to become certified by the State of Michigan as Peer Support Specialists within six months of hire.
Peer Support Specialists for Community Recovery (Peers) are responsible to deliver peer support services, consistent with existing Medicaid guidelines, to individual consumers or groups of consumers. Peers will promote and model recovery, and assist consumers in developing skills necessary to access community resources, live more independently, improve their health and wellness, continue their education, and pursue opportunities for meaningful work in their communities. Public speaking and committee work within and outside of the agency are also required. Regular business hours are 8:30 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Some evening and weekend hours may be required for special agency or community events.
The Guidance believes that our team members are our most valuable resources, and we invest in them accordingly. We offer our employees a competitive salary, flexible scheduling opportunities, a team-oriented work environment and much more!
If you are interested in becoming part of our world-class team, please submit your resume on-line by logging onto our website at www.guidance-center.org/careers
The Guidance Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity
Click here to apply online