STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
Promotes and maintains patients health by providing health care services to the extent to which she/he is licensed and/or certified.
- Under the general supervision of the Medical Director, examines patients, takes medical history, records results, and makes preliminary diagnosis of disease, illness, and injury and decides care plan, or follow-up procedures.
- Assesses patient health by interviewing patients, performing physical examinations, obtaining, updating, and studying medical histories
- Identifies short-term and long-range patient care issues that must be addressed, provide information, and recommend options and course of action
- Orders diagnostic tests such as X-rays, electrocardiograms, and blood work, and interprets test results
- Performs therapeutic procedures, such as immunizations, injections, suturing and wound care, and managing infection
- Instructs and counsels patients by describing therapeutic regimens and promoting wellness and health maintenance
- Provides continuity of care by developing and implementing patient care plans, instructing and counseling patients, and recording progress
- Works in triage and makes decisions on patient care needs
- Maintains outpatient records by documenting patient care services
- Record statistics, conduct research, and compile reports as deemed necessary by the organization
- Performs referrals to specialists as needed, writes prescriptions for medications and equipment, and performs office procedures within the scope of expertise, protocols, and available equipment
- Provides general health education regarding matters such as proper diet, family planning, emotional problems of daily living, and health maintenance
- Assists physician, as required, for emergency treatment and procedures that are more complex
- Instructs nurses, medical assistants, back office assistants regarding assistance with patient care