The Payroll Manager is responsible for all facets of the daily operations of payroll.
- Responsible for overseeing the processing of company payroll.
- Ensures accurate calculation of wages, tax withholdings, and company deductions.
- Prepares statistical reports on associate pay, commissions and bonuses, vacation, sick time, disability and workers compensation leave, and taxes/withholdings, etc.
- Ensures proper governmental reporting and compliance.
- Directs the responsibilities of a Payroll & HR Services Coordinator and manages day-to-day performance. Requires accountability to both finance and human resource departments.
- Responsible for all facets of the daily operations of payroll, ensuring compliance with company, state, local, and federal laws, policies, and regulations.
- Processes payroll accurately and efficiently for all associates; issuing paychecks or direct deposits in an accurate and timely manner.
- Audits various payroll reports to identify errors or issues and take appropriate action to resolve.
- Ensures accuracy of garnishments, child support, IRS levies as administered by vendors or internal staff ensuring payments are sent by deadlines.
- Maintains payroll information/files by directing the collection, calculation, and entering of data; oversees the maintenance of system tables and files to insure accurate and timely payments and reporting.
- Reconciles payroll tax reporting to ensure accurate filings by the tax service provider; to include the quarterly and annual tax filings.
- Reconciles payroll GL accounts and prepares JEs as needed for accounting manager to post to the general ledger.
- Collaborates with payroll software vendors and IT department regarding software issues and to leverage technology to automated processes for improved efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum five (5) years of extensive and recent experience managing and/or processing large complex, multi-state payrolls.
- Minimum five (5) years accounting experience with a computerized accounting system (Great Plains preferred).
- Minimum five (5) years experience with payroll and Time and Attendance systems (Ultipro and KRONOS preferred).
- Thorough knowledge of overall payroll operations to include payroll tax processing.
- Prior supervisory experience is desired.
- Prior experience in payroll conversion is desired.
- Proficiency and efficiency in utilizing Microsoft Office Suite required, to include Excel, as well as demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping.