GeneCoda has been engaged to identify and evaluate candidates, for an Operations Manager located in the RTP, NC area.
About Our Client:
Our client is a preclinical CRO with a fully equipped vivarium facility that specializes in ophthalmic models for life science R&D companies.
The Operations Manager will manage a brand new 30K+ square foot facility consisting of a vivarium, a full biological wet laboratory, and office space. This position oversees the maintenance, repair, and functionality of the entire operation.
The Operations Manager (Facilities, Equipment, Safety, and Mechanical Systems) will oversee the Facilities Manager (Animal Care and Husbandry) and report directly to the Director of Research. This team will care for more than 20K animals at any given time while helping the company advance to AALAC certification.
- Overall facility monitoring and infrastructure maintenance (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, security).
- Ordering & maintaining all equipment and general laboratory supplies.
- Safety officer role ensuring a safe workplace including safety training (BSL-2, chemical hygiene, fire safety, etc.)
- Disaster/emergency/contingency planning & operations.
- Response to all environmental and security alarms (24 x 7).
- Management of hazardous waste disposal, and NC DEQ compliance.
- Communication with the Director of Research, Study Directors, Facility Manager, Scientists, Group Leader, and Technicians.
- Maintenance and equipment list and ensuring annual certifications / calibrations.
- Facilities maintenance to ensure efficient operation in compliance with federal and organizational regulations.
- Management of all aspects of transition to a new facility.
- Equipment to meet the needs of the research environment and specific animal needs.
- Preventative maintenance on all specialized equipment.
- Advanced licenses for radiological materials onsite.
- New types of studies with new surgeons in new indications.
- Together with the Facility Manager oversight and implementation of animal care programs (e.g. AAALAC, USDA, OLAW) providing proper housing, sanitation, nourishment, and humane handling for a large and diverse population of laboratory animals.
- The facility manager’s responsibilities (Animal Care & Husbandry) during periods of leave.
- Oversight of all shipping and receiving of test articles and experimental samples.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in a life sciences, engineering, business or related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in a hands-on operations experience within a research animal facility with prior supervisory experience.
- Lab animal experience is required.
- Ideally, candidates for this position should be certified as a Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) or Lab Animal Technologist (LATG) with the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) and will be expected to have completed (or will be required to complete) the two-week AALAS Institute for Laboratory Animal Management (ILAM).
- The candidate should have specific expertise with animal facilities, equipment and caging, watering systems, mechanical systems, and automation.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including excellent grammar and proofreading abilities.
- Ability to work efficiently with minimal oversight.
- Research skills. Ability to solve problems through careful investigation.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
GeneCoda® refers qualified applicants for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, disability, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, family medical history or genetic information, sexual orientation or preference, Vietnam Era Veteran status or other protected military status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.