Magellan Aerospace, Winnipeg has an exciting career opportunity for a full-time permanent Occupational Health and Safety Specialist at our Rockwood Propellant Plant. The Rockwood facility is located just 20 minutes North of Winnipeg, near Stony Mountain, MB.
Magellan Aerospace is a global, integrated aerospace company that provides complex assemblies and systems solutions to aircraft and engine manufacturers, and defence and space agencies worldwide. At Magellan we have over 80 years of collective knowledge and experience in the aerospace industry, and believe one truth: People create value.
Employees are our greatest resource in working towards a successful future, and together we build professional relationships that thrive. We know that personal development is fundamental to the success of every individual and invest in our employees. When you are part of Magellan, you are part of the team!
- Providing recommendations and guidance based on knowledge of federal/provincial occupational safety and health legislation/regulations, applicable codes, standards and guidelines.
- Conduct, and assist with, regular safety audits (compliance, program, and management system audits).
- Identify, develop, and conduct on-site health and safety training (including respirator training, overhead crane training, and powered mobile equipment training).
- Conducting safety orientation of employees, visitors, and contractors.
- Act as first aider and emergency responder, which include responding and collaborating with the on-site emergency response team.
- Facilitate incident investigations, reporting, and corrective action follow-up. Liaise with regulatory authorities, when required.
- Manage, coordinate and be a resource for the Safety and Health Committee.
- Provide technical and program support to Environmental Management and Disability Management.
- Develop and maintain safety documentation, including risk assessments, job hazard analysis, safe work procedures, emergency response plans and policies.
- Implement Corporate and Divisional policies, procedures, and safety initiatives.
- Coordinate and monitor the workplace environment with respect to chemical, physical, and workplace hazards.
- Collaborate with UNION and various departments within Magellan, including engineering, production, and maintenance to meet Magellan’s safety objectives.
- Identify and track safety related issues and communicate to senior management.
Position Requirements / Qualifications
- A post-secondary education and/or certification in Occupational Safety and Health and/or an equivalent amount of work experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years relevant work experience.
- Standard First Aid/CPR Certification.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work efficiently within a group/team environment.
- Knowledge of federal/provincial occupational safety and health legislation/regulations, applicable standards and guidelines as well as federal explosive regulations;
- Knowledge of safe work practices including: WHMIS, chemical handling/storage, confined space entry, contractor safety, fall protection, hearing conservation (noise) and machine guarding;
- A post-secondary education and/or certification in Occupational Safety and Health and/or an equivalent amount of work experience;
- A minimum of three (3) years relevant work experience;
- Experience in handling and processing of explosives and propellants;
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certification;
- Computer literate with strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Competitive salary
- Attractive (FLEX) benefits package (fully Company paid)
- Generous Company pension plan
- Positive work-life balance
- Excellent career progression opportunities
- Commitment to professional growth
- Company social events including Company BBQ, children's events, service awards day, winter holiday party and many other events put together by our social committee!
- Employee Social & Welfare Association
- Employee discounts on tickets to certain sporting events and other entertainment/events
- Flexible work hours
- Free parking
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Magellan Aerospace respects the privacy and confidentiality of personal information provided by candidates and shall not disclose to any external parties unless legislated.
Thank you for considering this exciting opportunity. This document is intended to provide the reader with information and is not a contractual document. Some of the material therefore may be subject to change.
Magellan Aerospace is committed to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities for all. We welcome all applications without regard to social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, religious belief, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law).